Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 with C# by Chris Goode, John Kauffman, Christopher L. Miller, Neil Raybould, S. Srinivasa Sivakumar, Dave Sussman, Ollie Cornes, Rob Birdwell, Matt Butler, Gary Johnson, Ajoy Krishnamoorthy, Juan T. Llibre, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764543708
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:22 PM

Default Chapter 1: "Server Unavailable" message

I installed MS Visual Basic .NET, standard edition, then installed IIS. After writing the first "Try Out" piece of code on page 48 I get a message saying the Server is Unavailable:
"Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.."

I have followed all the directions from the book, the page I'm trying to display is: http://localhost/BegASPNET/Ch01/punctual.aspx

and that's when I get the message. Can anybody please help?
Thanks,

Tito
Minneapolis

Old September 11th, 2003, 02:17 AM

Tito,
     You and I have been having the same problem. And apparently so have many other people. It is an XP Pro issue.
     Go to www.asp.net. The link to the patch is on the home page. I used it and now I can run the first example from chapt. 1.

Good Luck,
     Frank Tully