Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Default Unable to open WroxUnited using IIS

Windows XP Pro - SP2
IIS 5.1
VS 2005 installed

Downloaded AllChapters.zip and extracted.

The tree for the files are actually now
F:\WebSites\WroxUnited\All_Chapters\0764588508 replacement\FinalApplication\WroxUnited\...

Exactly which URL am I supposed to enter? The book says "http://localhost/WroxUnited". This, of course, does not work.

Thanks,
Jeff

p.s. In addition, the steps necessary for setting up the new IIS Virtual Directory were completely different on my version of windows from the instructions in the book. I need to use "Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services"; then, of course, muddle around in there until I found something that looked like what I needed.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM

As a followup to my previous post, when I specify the following URL:

http://localhost/WroxUnited/All_Chap...d/Default.aspx

I get the following error in the browser:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://localhost/WroxUnited/All_Chapters/076458850...

<%@ Page Language="VB" Trace="false" MasterPageFile="~/site.master" AutoEventWireup="false" codefile="Default.aspx.vb" In...

Any ideas?
Thanks - Jeff

Old December 6th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Authorized User

Jeff

First off, the full download file contains an extra directory - this shouldn't be the case and I have contacted Wrox about getting this corrected. The '0764588508 replacement' directory shouldn't be there.

Next, there are two ways to create web sites. The first is that you can right-click on a folder in explorer and select properties. From the properties window you can select "Web Sharing" and select the "Share folder" option. Give the share the name "WroxUnited". The second way is with IIS Manager. Here you have to expand the nodes until you see "Default Web Site" - you right-click on that and select New and Virtual Directory. On the Alias page type "WroxUnited" and on the Web Site Content Directory, navigate to the WroxUnited folder where you expanded the zip file.

You might also need to make sure that the newly created web site is marked to use ASP.NET 2.0. If you expand the Default Web Site node, right-click on your WroxUnited node and select Properties. Click the ASP.NET tab and make sure the version is set to 2.0.50727.

Dave

Old December 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Thanks very much Dave.

By setting the site to use ASP.NET 2.0, I did change the behavior. Also, thanks for the pointer to the property page in the IIS Manager.

I am a beginner ASPer of course - why I have your book. Experienced VB6er with VS6. My first forray into .NET.

Now when I browse to F:\WebSites\WroxUnited\All_Chapters\0764588508 replacement\FinalApplication\WroxUnited\default.as px, I get the following error:

Quote:
quote:
Server Error in '/WroxUnited' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed to access IIS metabase.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
   System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapP athCaching(String siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492186
   System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.Syst em.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
   System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActua l(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
   System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
   System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
   System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
   System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(Virtu alPath virtualPath, Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385695
   System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRunti meConfig(VirtualPath path) +189

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
I have yet to get to my first lesson as the setup obviously has me stymied. Hoping you can get me going here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old December 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM

As per the Microsoft KB article pointed to in the error message I received and posted in my last reply, I executed the following command successfully:

Quote:
quote:
> aspnet_regiis -ga jjones
It had no effect on the error.

Help!?!?!
Jeff

Old December 6th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Authorized User

Jeff

Try that command with the -i switch (which does more stuff):

aspnet_regiis -i

It does look like at ASP.NET isntallation / configuration error, so is not something you've done. If the above doesn't work you have have to uninstall and reinstall.

Dave

Old December 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks again Dave. We are making progress. I completed the "aspnet_regiis -i" command successfully and then reloaded the WroxUnited page.

This time, it went about loading various files until it timed out.

Line 114 below is the line tagged as the line that produced the timeout.

I have whatever database engine was installed with VS 2005. So perhaps it has not been setup or configured properly.

If the setup is so incredibly complex, I can't imagine how beginners are ever supposed to get started. Frustration setting in.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
quote:
Server Error in '/WroxUnited' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

Line 112: Public Overridable Property Theme() As String
Line 113: Get
Line 114: Return CType(Me.GetPropertyValue("Theme"),String)
Line 115: End Get
Line 116: Set

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\966079fe\d86f727\App_Code.225_-vqc.6.vb Line: 114

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734979
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni Error(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error) +556
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni (DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +164
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadPac ket(Int32 bytesExpected) +34
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuf fer() +30
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByt e() +17
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +59
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Com pleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK) +33
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +130
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject) +496
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(Htt pContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
   System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV aluesFromDatabase(String userName, SettingsPropertyValueCollection svc) +766
   System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV alues(SettingsContext sc, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) +428
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFro mProvider(SettingsProvider provider) +410
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValue ByName(String propertyName) +117
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) +89
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetInternal(String propertyName) +36
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.get_Item(String propertyName) +68
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetPropertyValue(St ring propertyName) +4
   ProfileCommon.get_Theme() in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\966079fe\d86f727\App_Code.225_-vqc.6.vb:114
   Wrox.Web.GlobalEvents.ThemeModule.app_PreRequestHa ndlerExecute(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in F:\WebSites\WroxUnited\All_Chapters\0764588508 replacement\FinalApplication\WroxUnited\App_Code\T hemeModule.vb:30
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpA pplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Ok - now it is working. Pretty darn sure I didn't do anything between last post and now!

One issue. It does not recognize "default.aspx" as a default page.

In the IIS manager, if I click on the Virtual Web "WroxUnited" and choose properties as before; then select the "Documents" tab, it lists "Default.htm, Default.asp, Index.htm". Should I add "Default.aspx" to this list?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old December 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Authorized User

Yes, default.aspx should definitely be there. It's added as part of the ASP.NET installation, although aspnet_regiis -i should set this back up too. Your previous post, about the timeout, seems to indicate that ASP.NET itself is working, as it managed to process the page. The timeout is a database issue, and should work fine if the installation is ok.

d

Old December 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks Dave et al - your timely responses are reassuring and help to lend credibility and reliability to your books.

I create and sell software over the web and, as you, support my customers via an online forum.

Customers will tolerate faults in your products as long as they feel you are there to stand behind those products and assist them in a friendly, non-condescending and timely fashion. Products can never be perfect and customers realize that. This will help assure that I continue to purchase WROX books.

I am sure you will continue to hear from me as I proceed through this book.

If I can offer up some feedback based on my experience so far.

Since setup and configuration can be a complicated issue depending on your platform (XP, 2003, 2000) and your products VWD vs Visual Studio, SQL express vs SQL Server, Cassini vs IIS - a separate chapter (or perhaps an online addendum) should be created to specifically cover the setup and config of all of these situations. Most folks new to ASP (what this book is about) would, I think, also be new to web servers among the other things.

Thanks,
Jeff