Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Authorized User

Default Why I can't change my web pages?

I've just begun to read this book. When I debug my webpages, they seem to run fine, but when I make some changes to them and run to see results, I can not see any changes show on the webpage at all. Why? I can not change my webpages once they are made and debugged!

My system is Win2003. Is there any change I should make to my system?
I tried VWD and VS2005. The problem persists!

Anyone can help me? Waiting!
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

Hiya,

If I'm reading you right, you're

- Writing a page
- Hitting Debug in Visual Studio and seeing the page in IE or whichever browser you're using.
- Editing the page
- Refreshing the page
- Not getting the changes reflected back in the browser.

My first suggestions are:

- Make sure that you close the browser window that opened when you started debugging in Visual Studio. Changes in C# code at least won't be reflected in the browser until you close it down and then press debug again. Visual Studio must first recompile the page before you see changes and to do that it must leave debug mode.
- Check that your browser isn't just pulling the same old (incorrect) version of the page from its cache. You can try pressing either Shift+F5 to get it to load a new version of the page or for a more permanent solution, open your browsers preferences dialog and set it to always redownload a page when it is requested.

I hope that helps. If not, let me know what exactly you're trying to do - alter codebehind, alter html - and what steps you're taking to do it and we'll work through it.

Dan

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Authorized User

Hi Dan,

It's so nice to have your reply.

Yes, it's due to my Explorer setting. My problem solved after I did the following.
Click "Tools" in a Explorer window, go to General tag, under Temporary Internet Files click "settings", under Check for new versions of stord pages.... Choose "Every visit to the page" instead of "Never".

Jon
from China
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I'm reading in here about having to stop the debug mode to make a change take effect. I thought VS2k5 had the in-place editing abilities. These seem to be mutually exclusive. Can you comment?

Thanks.

Old December 28th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

It depends what you're trying to edit. I believe you're talking about the "edit and continue" ability that used to be in VB6 and is now in bits of VS2005 - the keyword being 'bits'. This is where you can write code, compile it, run it in a debugger and change the code as you step through it. This is not available with website projects in VS2005 although you can do this with windows applications in both vb and c# - so its not available in visual web developer either. One of the original posts about thsi decision can be found here - http://blogs.msdn.com/bgold/archive/...19/115954.aspx. Now edit and continue has been introduced recently in service pack 1 for visual studio 2005 with 'web application projects' which are new to sp1. A nce thread on this is here - http://forums.asp.net/thread/1475571.aspx - from the fifth post in the thread onwards.

I hope that covers it. It's worth noting of course that this applies to changing your c# or vb code only. If you edit the html or asp.net tags in your page, save them and then reload the page in your browser, the changes should be reflected accordingly.

Dan

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive