Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Authorized User

Default Disabling Simple File Sharing in Windows XP.

Hi Imar,

I was following your book at chapter 11's Try It Out section on page 356 step 2 which redirected me to read chapter 18 page 653, Configuring the File System.

At step 3, you asked me to uncheck the Use Simple File Sharing option. Since I am running Windows XP Home Edition, I do not have that option. After searching the web, I found this page: http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Simpl...P-Home-Edition

which describes how to disable it by rebooting Windows and starting in Safe Mode. Can you look at it and tell me if it is safe for me to do it? What are the security implications caused by turning the Simple File Sharing option off in Windows XP Home Edition?

Thanks.

Old April 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

There are no direct security implications associated with turning that feature off. With the setting turned on, Windows takes care of sharing / security settings. If you disable simple sharing, you gain more fine-grained control over the security process, but it doesn't change the actual security by itself.

So, when you turn it off, you have the option to manually change security settings. This could lead to a less secure system if you make unwise changes. However, following the steps I describe in the book should leave your system secure but functional at the same time.

But why would you need these settings in the first place? The home edition doesn't support IIS, so there's not much point in changing security settings, is there? (Unless your own account doesn't have the necessary permissions to run the web site).

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Authorized User

Hi Imar,

Thanks for your answer.

Am I right to say that I cannot proceed from chapter 11 onwards unless I have Windows Vista Home Premium?

Old April 14th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

No, not at all. You can certainly proceed with the entire book. However, detailed security settings are (usually) only necessary when your site runs under IIS, the professional web server that comes with Windows. IIS requires you to make changes to the NTFS settings.

In the case of Windows Home, you'll always run your site using the built-in development web server. This server in turn runs under your account (e.g. with your credentials) which *usually* has sufficient permissions to write to and read from files like databases in the App_Data folder.

So, nothing to worry about. You can proceed with the remainder of the book.

HtH,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Authorized User

Imar,

This is sort of in the topic here.

I didn't think one could use XP Professional and IIS with the .net 3.5 framework using all the Express 2008 versions (using it as your own server in real life. I thought one needed Vita Premium which uses IIS *7.0 for that, whereas one can't upgrade XP Pro to the IIS 7.0 version. Am I wrong?

Excuse my ignorance. And I hope that made since. LOL

Terry

Old April 14th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Wrox Author

It all depends on how you define "your own server in real life".

Basically, there are three options:

1. Built-in web developer server.
This server listens to requests coming *from* localhost only and as such is ideal for development, but useless for deployment.

2. IIS on Windows XP Pro and Up or Windows Vista
These OS's are "end user OS's" and not a true server OS. While you could run a site under IIS on Windows XP or Vista, it's not really recommended. Again, fine for development (especially the multiple sites you can create in Windows Vista) but not ideal for running a production site.

3. IIS on Server 2000 / 2003 / 2008
These OS's are true server OS's and designed to run production web sites. IIS on these platforms are similar to those of XP / Vista, but have been designed to handle many concurrent users and as such are the ideal (actually only real) choice for production web sites.

HtH,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Authorized User

A friend of mine was using a personal computer using Linux for his server. It crashed on him and he was told he could use windows xp pro. It's a small website and doesn't have much traffic. He uses for his students.

Old April 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Wrox Author

Yes, it will work. But like I said, it's not designed for it, and will not give you the best experience. Don't use it on big production sites.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars