Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Authorized User

Default Recommendations

Hi Imar,

Before I write my review on Amazon for you, I just want to give you a bit of feedback after reading your book about the pros and cons, and how you could improve for future editions of your book.

Pros:
-Superb beginning overview of VWD.
-Excellent starting grounds on the controls and what they are capable of.
-Really good start on databases and SQL.
-LINQ is covered well.
-As well as deployment, debugging security also covered well for a beginner.
-Excellent customer service on the Wrox.com forums. This is probably one of the reasons I picked up your book in the first place, as your customer service was great on a forum for one of your other books (which im going to read now that I have confidence in this book)

Cons:
-For me, there is not enough covered on programming. For example, methods appear out of no where.(Page 419 specifically comes to mind when you use e.values and e.newValues) Although you do explain it well in "how it works", there is no fundamental covering on where they come from (namespaces etc). I realize ASP.NET is huge and you could not possibly cover every single detail possible. But when using something in your book it would be great to explain where it comes from :)

That being said. Your book gets 5 stars. I will be recommending it to anyone that I know that is interested in starting a server side language.

:)

Old April 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

Would you like to get into the Cons part a bit more? Methods, properties, namespaces etc are covered in chapter 5, so I am trying to figure out why they appear to appear out of no where for you, and how to improve that.

If you want, you can send me a personal message through my profile page or through my personal web site.

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Authorized User

Imar,

What I mean is that there isn't enough programming coverage. For example, I'm contrasting Ajax techniques found in this book using AJAX.NET and My professional Ajax 2nd edition book by nicholas zakas.

Looking at the source code for Professianal Ajax 2nd edition ASP.NET download, I want to lean more about coding it like that(http://media.wiley.com/product_ancil...ax2eDotNet.zip). Can you recommend a book I can pickup to learn the actual programming of it? For example, a VB.NET book? Is that what I would need to pick up to learn what I'm asking you? I want to learn about the programming VB.NET with ASP.NET I'm a bit confused here.

I guess what I want to learn is more about the programming aspect of ASP.NET, and not so much about the controls.

Without a doubt I'm going to be using the controls, for things like Login, it makes it so simple! But for other things I want more personalized control from ME coding it.

Hope you can give me some guidance on where I can find that information!

Best,

ASPC

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Authorized User

In the later chapters of your book I'd say from chapter 13 on, I had real difficulties following the programming. I feel that you definitely need a good understanding of VB or C# before you can start working with some of the examples in the book or else you will be lost.

Since I came over from PHP to learn ASP.NET, it could be my fault that I don't have a good understanding of VB.NET as of yet.

If maybe you could point me in the right direction at this point it would be most appreciated.

I don't feel like the controls or anything like that are giving me problems, as you did a really good job explaining everything. When you started into the programming, it seems as if you went from novice and jumped right into advanced pretty fast.

Best,
ASPC

Old May 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

As I said in the introduction of chapter 5, this book is not a complete introduction to programming. There's simply too much to cover for a single book. The goal of chapter 5 is to give you a basic introduction into many concepts used on a day to day basis. However, once you need to do more advanced stuff, you definitely need more programming knowledge.

A good start would indeed be one of the beginning books for a language:

Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2008
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...470191341.html

Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...47019135X.html

Both books will be out in May this year. Also, you may want to take a look at the Professional versions of these books. You'll have to see for yourself (read a sample chapter on-line, visit a bookstore) if they are right for you, or if they are too big a step. In the latter case, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Beginning editions.

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Authorized User

So Visual Basic 2008 will give me all the concepts I need to program ASP.NET applications? It's not just going to be about Visual Basic Express and windows applications?

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Authorized User

I'm only interested in Internet Programming and web applications. Just FYI :)

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59

aspcoder: Beginning VB 2008 is going to have the coverage you need to learn the basics of data structures and flow control in VB. Even though most of the examples will probably be done showing a Windows app, a loop is a loop, an array is an array. Likewise I'm sure the chapters on Objects will be very useful to you. yes, there will be some chapters that won't be relevent to your needs (Windows Forms, Graphics, Dialog Boxes all come to mind). There are a couple of basic chapters on VB and ASP.NET and Web Projects that tie in to some of the concepts in Imar's ASP.NET book, but really what you'll be focused on are the core chapters about the VB language itself.

Jim Minatel
Acquisitions Director
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Wrox online library: http://wrox.books24x7.com
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49

Send a message via AIM to dparsons

I personally worked on Beginning Visual C# 2008 and it contains a lot of good concepts for beginners but it is based mostly around writing small console applications to demonstrate the techniques and concepts that are being taught. There are a handful of chapters that are specifically aimed at ASP.NET and related technologies but just because you might write a console application that does X doesn't mean you can't write a Web Application to do the same thing (within reason of course).

Also, you have indicated that you want a book that will teach you "all of the concepts" with regard to ASP.NET applications but as Imar has alluded to, ASP.NET is a vast topic and I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a book that "does it all".

hth.
-Doug

================================================== =========
Read this if you want to know how to get a correct reply for your question:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
.: Wrox Technical Editor / Author :.
Wrox Books 24 x 7
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Authorized User

Here's a better question,

I'll give you a specific example. Page 491. Hooking into RowDataBound. You say on step 3 "Add the following line of code if you are using visual basic .net.

"IMPORTS System.Data"

Now, how do you know where to find all the methods and classes you need to accomplish a specific task. Can you explain where it is I would find information like that? How would a beginner know where to find the system.data namespace, or better yet, how would they even know that they had to use this namespace to accomplish it?

Best,
ASPC