Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Default Issue with FireFox and Horizontal Banner

I've been using Firefox to view my pages. Once I started work on chapter 8 and the banners I had a strange issue pop up. The Horizontal banner does not display in the About Us page when viewed with Fire Fox. I am using FF 3.5.7 with Windows 7. I get the same issue with planetwrox.com About Us page as well. If I view the page source it shows the HTML for the banner and if I click on the link to the image there in the HTML source it displays the image just fine in my browser. However it will not display on the page at all. Now if I view the About Us with IE 8 the banner shows up. I'm guessing this is some odd quirk with FF but I have no idea what it would be.

Thanks.

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

Can you provide more details, and maybe liink to a screenshot? The page looks fine in Firefox 3.6 for me. Maybe you're running an ad-blocker that blocks the banner on that page?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:44 AM

The vertical Ad shows up just fine and I do not see the normal add block tag when the vertical banner shows up. As I said when you look at the page source code it shows the link to the banner.

Snapfish Link for screen print

Might be some sort of quirk with 3.5.7 then. As you can see in the screen show the vertical banner shows up but the horizontal banner is not showing.

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Wrox Author

Do you have a Norton product running, like Norton Internet Security?

What happens when you replace the horizontal image with the vertical one?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old February 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM

I am running McAfee.

The vertical image is displayed no matter what page it is on.

Old February 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Wrox Author

What I meant was: replace the ImageUrl of the horizontal image with that of the vertical. You should then end up with two vertical banners so you can see it's the code or the image that's causing the problem.

My guess is that the image is blocked my McAfeee because of it's size. It looks like an ad....

Imar

Old February 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Ok I found it. It was the adblock plus plugin that I had in FF. I had to dig into it to find the correct rule setting.

Thanks again for your help.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM

I had the same problem with the horizontal banner.
I wonder how ad block plus distinguish between the horizontal and the vertical banner!

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
Wrox Author

The horizontal banner has a "known banner size": http://www.google.nl/#hl=nl&q=standa...r+sizes+486+60

Cheers,

Imar

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks a lot Imar for the answer.
By the way congratulations for your great book.