Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Authorized User
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Help needed please Imar

Hi there Imar. I have been working through your book steadily and was at around chapter 7-Navigation. My computer had been having some problems so my friend has reinstalled windows for me. I saved all my work before so my Site and BegAspNet folders are all saved etc.

Ive reinstalled visual studio 2008 but when i try to open my Site i seem to get this. One web.config file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- 
    Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the 
    web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
    the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
    A full list of settings and comments can be found in 
    machine.config.comments usually located in 
    \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config 
-->
<configuration>
	<configSections>
		<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
			<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
				<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
				<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
					<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>
					<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
					<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
					<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/></sectionGroup></sectionGroup></sectionGroup></configSections><appSettings/>
	<connectionStrings/>
	<system.web>
		<!-- 
            Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging 
            symbols into the compiled page. Because this 
            affects performance, set this value to true only 
            during development.
        -->
		<compilation debug="false">
			<assemblies>
				<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
				<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
				<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
				<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/></assemblies></compilation>
		<!--
            The <authentication> section enables configuration 
            of the security authentication mode used by 
            ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. 
        -->
		<authentication mode="Windows"/>
		<!--
            The <customErrors> section enables configuration 
            of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs 
            during the execution of a request. Specifically, 
            it enables developers to configure html error pages 
            to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
            <error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />
            <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />
        </customErrors>
        -->
		<pages>
			<controls>
				<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
				<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></controls></pages>
		<httpHandlers>
			<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>
			<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></httpHandlers>
		<httpModules>
			<add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></httpModules></system.web>
	<system.codedom>
			<compilers>
				<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider,System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" warningLevel="4">
					<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
					<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/></compiler>
				<compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" warningLevel="4">
					<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
					<providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>
					<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/></compiler></compilers></system.codedom>
	<system.webServer>
			<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>
		<modules>
			<remove name="ScriptModule"/>
			<add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></modules>
		<handlers>
			<remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>
			<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>
			<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>
			<remove name="ScriptResource"/>
			<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></handlers></system.webServer>
	<runtime>
		<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
			<dependentAssembly>
				<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
				<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/></dependentAssembly>
			<dependentAssembly>
				<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
				<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/></dependentAssembly></assemblyBinding></runtime></configuration>
and another BegASP.Net.sln file:
Code:
Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00
# Visual Studio 2008
Project("{E24C65DC-7377-472B-9ABA-BC803B73C61A}") = "BegASPNET", "..\..\..\..\..\..\BegASPNET\", "{D6AACB87-F4EA-4D3F-B5FF-2A1836C36912}"
	ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties) = preProject
		TargetFramework = "3.5"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/BegASPNET"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "..\..\..\..\..\..\BegASPNET\"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\BegASPNET\"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
		Debug.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "True"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/BegASPNET"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "..\..\..\..\..\..\BegASPNET\"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\BegASPNET\"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
		Release.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "False"
		VWDPort = "58612"
	EndProjectSection
EndProject
Global
	GlobalSection(SolutionConfigurationPlatforms) = preSolution
		Debug|.NET = Debug|.NET
	EndGlobalSection
	GlobalSection(ProjectConfigurationPlatforms) = postSolution
		{D6AACB87-F4EA-4D3F-B5FF-2A1836C36912}.Debug|.NET.ActiveCfg = Debug|.NET
		{D6AACB87-F4EA-4D3F-B5FF-2A1836C36912}.Debug|.NET.Build.0 = Debug|.NET
	EndGlobalSection
	GlobalSection(SolutionProperties) = preSolution
		HideSolutionNode = FALSE
	EndGlobalSection
EndGlobal
Im really not sure why ive got these two files up and why it wont load up my pages that i was expecting??
Can you help me as to what im doing wrong? Ive tried both opening it in visual studio 2008 by the open website tab and ive also tried to open them from the folders on my desktop too.

If you dont see a way around this, is there any code I can download that would be the same as if id worked through to chapter 7. I just want to be able to carry on from where I was Imar which was at around chapter 7.

Thanks.

Lee
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Lee,

Quote:
Ive reinstalled visual studio 2008 but when i try to open my Site i seem to get this One web.config file:
Where do you get these files? Web.config is supposed to be in the root of the site. The sln file is just something Visual Studio creates in the background and can be ignored or deleted when you simply open the site as a web site.

How do you open the site? Do you choose File | Open Web Site and not accidentally File | Open Project?

Quote:
up and why it wont load up my pages that i was expecting??
Can you define "wont load up my pages"? Do you get an error? If so, where? Which one?

Quote:
If you dont see a way around this, is there any code I can download that would be the same as if id worked through to chapter 7. I just want to be able to carry on from where I was Imar which was at around chapter 7.
Certainly. The book comes with the full source as explained in the introduction and every chapter in the book. Check out the book's details page (see my signature for a link) for the downloads. You can choose the chapter you want to work with.

Also, if you want, you can zip up the complete site and send it to me so I can take a look. If you want to, send me a message through my personal web site and I'll reply so you have my e-mail address.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old June 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Authorized User
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3

I tried opening the files from File/Open website, I also simply tried navigating to where the files were on my desktop and opening them from with visual studio 2008...

For some reason all i can see is the two files i showed you in the code document, the web.config file and the .sln file. I have worked through your book to chapter 7 so was expecting the full site i'd created but cant see any of this.

Ive also emailed you with the headline 'Lee Bell' through your personal website as you suggested.

Regards

Lee
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:15 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Lee,

Looks like you backed up the wrong folder before you reinstalled? From what I can see, you only backed up the folder with the Solution Files, not with the actual web site files.
The zip files you sent me contain no files at all, just a .sln file and a web.config file.

So, you either need to dig a little deeper in your backup for the files, or grab the source that comes with the book for Chapter 6 or 7 and continue from there: http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...-DOWNLOAD.html

Sorry; can’t do much else about files that aren’t there… ;-)

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!