Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Authorized User

Default Chapter 18 - Deployment Problem

Hi Imar. I'm having an issue with deployment. IIS and ASP.NET 3.5 are installed and working (as far as I can tell), and I followed the instructions in the chapter for the file system security permissions. The website does load when I go to localhost in the browser, but it does so with no formatting whatsoever; All the text and links are present, but it's just plain text with no images or styles. And when I try to navigate to the Images folder in the browser (localhost/Images) the page loads but is completely blank. Same goes for localhost/Styles/Styles.css

Any help is much appreciated, as always.

-Chris
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,022, Level: 100 Points: 72,022, Level: 100 Points: 72,022, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

Looks like something is not configured right in IIS. Can you describe your setup? E.g. the physical folder structure, the files that the Styles and Images folder contain and so on? And which folder did you map in IIS? Did you change the settings for the Default Web Site? And what is the exact address you type in the browser? http://localhost/Styles including the http and so on? Also, when you look at the site in IIS, do you see these folders appear and do they contain the files you expect?

And did you apply the correct security settings to these folders?

Finally, what happens when you browse to an image directly, such as http://localhost/Images/Banner468x60.gif ?

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
Hi there,

Looks like something is not configured right in IIS. Can you describe your setup? E.g. the physical folder structure, the files that the Styles and Images folder contain and so on?
Here is my file structure. It's very similar to what you have in the book up through chapter 13.

C:
-BegASPNET
--Release
---About
----AboutUs.aspx/aspx.vb
----Contact.aspx/.aspx.vb
----Default.aspx/.aspx.vb
---App_Browsers
----BrowserFile.browser
---App_Code
----BasePage.vb
----Calculator.vb
----Direction.vb
----NameService.vb
----PlanetWrox.dbml/.layout/.designer.vb
---App_Data
----ContactForm.tx
----PlanetWrox.mdf
----PlanetWrox_log.ldf
---App_Themes
----DarkGrey
-----Images
------BodyBackground.jpg
------Header.gif
------PleaseWait.gif
-----DarkGrey.css
----Monochrome
-----Images
------Header.jpg
------MenuBackground.jpg
------PleaseWait.gif
------Sidebar.jpg
-----Button.skin
-----Monochrome.css
---Controls
----Banner.ascx/.ascx.vb
----ContactForm.ascx/.ascx.vb
---GigPics
----various images
---Images
----Banner120x240.gif
----Banner468x60.gif
---Management
----AddEditReviews.aspx/.aspx.vb
----Genres.aspx/.aspx.vb
----Reviews.aspx/.aspx.vb
----web.config
---MasterPages
----ManagementMaster.master/.master.vb
----MasterPage.master/.master.vb
---PhotoAlbums
---Reviews
----All.aspx/.aspx.vb
----AllByGenre.aspx/.aspx.vb
---Styles
----Styles.css
----TestStyleSheet.css
---WebServices
----NameService.asmx
---AboutUs.aspx/.aspx.vb
---Default.aspx/.aspx.vb
---Login.aspx/.aspx.vb
---ManagePhotoAlbum.aspx/.aspx.vb
---NewPhotoAlbum.aspx/.aspx.vb
---web.config
---web.sitemap

Quote:
And which folder did you map in IIS?
C:\BegASPNET\Release

Quote:
Did you change the settings for the Default Web Site?
Yes, I changed the physical path to C:\BegASPNET\Release and put default.aspx at the top of the Default Documents list.

Quote:
And what is the exact address you type in the browser? http://localhost/Styles including the http and so on?
I've done it with http://localhost, localhost, my IP address, and http://myIPaddress. They all load the site, just with the same problem.

Quote:
Also, when you look at the site in IIS, do you see these folders appear and do they contain the files you expect?
Wait a minute... the folders are there but they do not show the files! I did not realize this until just now.

Quote:
And did you apply the correct security settings to these folders?
Yes, I believe I did.

Quote:
Finally, what happens when you browse to an image directly, such as http://localhost/Images/Banner468x60.gif ?
Completely blank page.

-Chris
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Authorized User

Actually upon closer inspection, IIS does show the files; I just had to click on "content view" to have them show up...

EDIT: Also, I don't know how relevant this is, but when I go to Basic Settings under Edit Site in IIS and click Test Settings, I get the following error:

"The server is configured to use pass-through authentication with a built-in account to access the specified physical path. However, IIS Manager cannot verify whether the built-in account has access. Make sure that the application pool identity has Read access to the physical path. If this server is joined to a domain, and the application pool identity is NetworkService or LocalSystem, verify that <domain>\<computer_name>$ has Read access to the physical path. Then test these settings again."

(Authentication succeeds, but Authorization shows this error)

Last edited by caiman; October 9th, 2010 at 07:28 PM..
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,022, Level: 100 Points: 72,022, Level: 100 Points: 72,022, Level: 100

Quote:

Completely blank page.
Did you install the "Static Content" item from the Common HTTP Features when installing / configuring IIS through the Programs and Features | Windows Features? (That is, when you're using a recent version of Windows running IIS 7.)

Quote:
The server is configured to use pass-through authentication with a built-in account to access the specified physical path
Did you enter a user name and password in IIS to access specific folders? If so, you shouldn't do that. You should determine and configure the account for IIS as explained in the book (e.g. Network Service, ASPNET or any of the other accounts depending on your configuration). Then IIS runs under that account provided it has access to the files on disk,. There's no need to assign a user name and password in IIS, other than the account used by the entire site (configured on the app pool in IIS 7 as explained in the book).
Which version of IIS and Windows are you using?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
caiman (October 10th, 2010)
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Did you enter a user name and password in IIS to access specific folders?
No, I sure didn't.

Quote:
Which version of IIS and Windows are you using?
IIS 6 on Windows Vista Home Premium

Quote:
Did you install the "Static Content" item from the Common HTTP Features when installing / configuring IIS through the Programs and Features | Windows Features? (That is, when you're using a recent version of Windows running IIS 7.)
No, this was not installed. I just now installed it and... it solved the problem! Fantastic! Thank you so much.

So why did this work? What does it mean to install static content?

-Chris
Old October 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
IIS 6 on Windows Vista Home Premium
Vista ships with IIS 7, so you're either not using Vista, or not IIS 6 ;-) I assume the latter is the case.

The Static Content module does what its name implies: it serves static content, such as HTML, CSS and image files that don't need to be processed by the ASP.NET pipe line. To minimize the attack vector, IIS is split up in components which you can install separately. If you never need to serve static content (can hardly think of a good reason why that would ever be the case; maybe in a pure web service scenario) you don't need to install that module. If a security vulnerability is discovered in that module, servers that don't have it installed are safe.

Normally, when you follow the book's instructions on installing IIS, this feature gets installed automatically.

Hope this helps,

Imar

Old October 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Vista ships with IIS 7, so you're either not using Vista, or not IIS 6 ;-) I assume the latter is the case.
Ah yes, I think I was looking at the version of the IIS Manager, not IIS itself.

I'm not really sure how I missed the static content option during the IIS installation. Perhaps I need to practice my mouse clicking skills :)

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

-Chris