Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Jack Purdum; ISBN: 9780470261293
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Default Am I doing something wrong?

Hello Dr Purdum,

I come from a web development background and I decided to use your book as my starting point to learn OOP. I have no experience with C#. I think I have located an error in the book starting at page 36:

We are instructed to create a new Project as an Empty Project and not a Windows Application Template. We continue on to add references and type in some basic program code to the Code File frmMain file. Here is where I start to have a problem, though I did not realize it until the bottom of page 41. There it states to Highlight the frmMain.cs file in Solution Explorer and then click on the View Designer icon. If I follow the instruction to the letter, I cannot click the View Designer Icon as it is not available to the Code File file. If I backtrack to page 39: Figure 2-11 appears to display a project started as a Windows Forms Application with the frmMain.cs file as a Windows Form file object and not a Code File. At the top of Page 38 we are instructed to create a form object to hold other objects, but we are then told to use the Code File object in and after Figure 2-10.

Although I have gotten past this section and enjoying the book further on. This section greatly confused me as a OOP and C# beginner. I went through it several times in both C# Express and Visual Studio 2008, always with the same results. Although I do not think I missed anything, perhaps you, or other readers can show me the steps I missed.

Thank You.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Friend of Wrox

Sorry for the delay. I'm on vacation in FL but will try to explore your problem tonight and get back to you in two days. (No internet access here!)

Dr. Purdum

Old February 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

Seee if my answer to cannot open project properties doesn't help you, too.

Dr. Purdum