Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Web Programming > HTML > BOOK: Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript by Jon Duckett; ISBN: 978-0-470-54070-1
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My website - help me test it out please

Hello everyone!
After the completion of most of my website, I would like to hear from you what I need to change.
If you find any glitches or something wrong with the webiste, please tell me.
Also, make sure to tell me what browser you use (IE 8, Firefox, Safari...)

Click here to go to the website

And here's a second one.
Click here to go to the website

NOTE: There's currently no feedback option on the second website. Leave the feedback on the first website, and tell me which feedback is for which website.

Please note: A button may appear on the top of your screen asking you for access to scripted windows. I assure you that there are no bugs on my websites, but if you don't want to allow scripted windows, it shouldn't change anything on the website.

There is one glitch - there is one person in the section "Meet the crew" that when you roll over him with the cursor, nothing happens. I need to fix this.

Feedback I'm looking for:
1) Did you understand the goal of this website and the project?
2) Did you find any glitches in the website (such as a link that doesn't work)?
3) Was the text readable? Are there certain sections that should be a larger font size, a different color... (tell me which section)
4) Even if you won't revisit the website, since it doesn't matter in your life, did you think that the design was cool (the music in the beginning, the updated clock, the feedback section, the scrolling images, the image map that you can scroll over and it explains the members of the project...)

Just remember - you probably aren't my target audience, so don't base your feedback on the fact that the website doesn't matter to you. And don't feel bad to criticize me.
Just remember - I only know HTML/XHTML and CSS, so that's how I designed my page. Someone who knows ASP.NET will surely be able to make a much better page, so judge it on my level.

IMPORTANT: if you are viewing this on a Mac or Safari, the entire page may be moving. You should view this on either IE or Firefox.

Last edited by andypandyrox456; April 13th, 2010 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Imar's Avatar
Wrox Author
Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands.
Posts: 17,079
Thanks: 80
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default

Quote:
If you find any glitches or something wrong with the webiste, please tell me.
What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Contentwise / designwise / optionswise, I wouldn't visit it again. But then again, I am probably not your target audience....

Cheers,

Imar
__________________
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Contentwise / designwise / optionswise, I wouldn't visit it again. But then again, I am probably not your target audience....

Cheers,

Imar
Yes, I doubt you're my target audience.

Feedback I'm looking for:
1) Did you understand the goal of this website and the project?
2) Did you find any glitches in the website (such as a link that doesn't work)?
3) Was the text readable? Are there certain sections that should be a larger font size, a different color... (tell me which section)
4) Even if you won't revisit the website, since it doesn't matter in your life, did you think that the design was cool (the music in the beginning, the updated clock, the feedback section, the scrolling images...)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Imar's Avatar
Wrox Author
Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands.
Posts: 17,079
Thanks: 80
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default

I don't want to sound harsh or rude, but I think I need to answer No to all questions:

1) Did you understand the goal of this website and the project?

No, not at all. Humor, maybe? I had no idea.

2) Did you find any glitches in the website (such as a link that doesn't work)?

After two minutes my eyes started bleeding because of the million different font colors, sizes, animated background and flying images so I haven't tried them all. Since this is a single page web site, I think you should be good to go though. Not much that can be broken.

3) Was the text readable? Are there certain sections that should be a larger font size, a different color... (tell me which section)

Not all all. Dark backgrounds, millions of different colors makes things impossible to read. Also, presenting content in a drop down just to display it as a list doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Something like this is easy to read (random example): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket#Parentheses

4) Even if you won't revisit the website, since it doesn't matter in your life, did you think that the design was cool (the music in the beginning, the updated clock, the feedback section, the scrolling images...)

No. I didn't hear the music (possible because my sound system was off). I don't like clocks in web sites (I don't see the point; if I want to know what time it is I look at my watch). I also don't like the pop ups you get on page load and when you leave. I just don't see the point. I was totally lost on the feedback section (now which button do I need to press to burn this form). I was also surprised and slightly irritated by the "bye" alert when I tried to submit something or closed my browser.

I can see you put a lot of work on this and you must be proud of it. So, that's what I really like about this site. However, I don't think you should ask professional web developers what they think of it. I think you're better off asking your friends on MSN or MySpace.... ;-)

Good luck with your site.

Imar
__________________
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
I don't want to sound harsh or rude, but I think I need to answer No to all questions:

1) Did you understand the goal of this website and the project?

No, not at all. Humor, maybe? I had no idea.

2) Did you find any glitches in the website (such as a link that doesn't work)?

After two minutes my eyes started bleeding because of the million different font colors, sizes, animated background and flying images so I haven't tried them all. Since this is a single page web site, I think you should be good to go though. Not much that can be broken.

3) Was the text readable? Are there certain sections that should be a larger font size, a different color... (tell me which section)

Not all all. Dark backgrounds, millions of different colors makes things impossible to read. Also, presenting content in a drop down just to display it as a list doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Something like this is easy to read (random example): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket#Parentheses

4) Even if you won't revisit the website, since it doesn't matter in your life, did you think that the design was cool (the music in the beginning, the updated clock, the feedback section, the scrolling images...)

No. I didn't hear the music (possible because my sound system was off). I don't like clocks in web sites (I don't see the point; if I want to know what time it is I look at my watch). I also don't like the pop ups you get on page load and when you leave. I just don't see the point. I was totally lost on the feedback section (now which button do I need to press to burn this form). I was also surprised and slightly irritated by the "bye" alert when I tried to submit something or closed my browser.

I can see you put a lot of work on this and you must be proud of it. So, that's what I really like about this site. However, I don't think you should ask professional web developers what they think of it. I think you're better off asking your friends on MSN or MySpace.... ;-)

Good luck with your site.

Imar
Thanks so much for the great feedback!

I developed that site completely by myself, and I'm sure that to a professional web designer it seems like miserable slime. But I only know HTML/XHTML and CSS, and I'm glad of what I accomplished, even if it is miserable slime.
A few points I need to comment on:
1) You said that you didn't hear the music because your sound was turned off. Well, you shouldn't criticize me on that - just turn your sound on. Also, I thought that the way the music was displayed as an Ipod touch was a cool addition, and you could click the button on the ipod to see the full list of songs - just like a regular ipod.
2) On the submit form - to submit your feedback, all you need to do is click the picture of the asteroid that says "Submit". The one that says "Clear" acts as a reset button. When you submit, a new page will open saying "Thank you." You can ignore that page.
3) The animated background is a starfield. Other than that, nothing else is animted.
4) The different colors were designed based on what each business ad was. For example: The Io red water rafting business ad had a red font, since lava is red.
5) I explained what the site is about in the section "Project DARE." The only thing I didn't explain were the business ads. Anyway, my target audience knows what the page is about.

I wanted to make my page fancy, and I thought I accomplished this with the different fonts, colors, animated background, goldenrod border around table, asteroids instead of horizontal rules, asteoids instead of bullet points in a list, borders around images, and all those graphics were made by me. That's really what I wanted feedback on.

You're the author of ASP.NET books. Currently, I'm not on that level, so I can see why you think my page is miserable slime.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I'm not even an adult.

Last edited by andypandyrox456; April 7th, 2010 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Imar's Avatar
Wrox Author
Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands.
Posts: 17,079
Thanks: 80
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default

Don't get me wrong; I am not criticizing you; I am just telling you what I like and don' like.

Personally, I find background music on web sites really annoying; especially when there is no way to turn it off. It tends to interfere with the music I am listening to. That's why my sound is off; and I can't be bothered to turn it on. Nothing personal, but for me it adds no value.

Quote:
3) The animated background is a starfield. Other than that, nothing else is animted.
It just so happens that the entire background is filled with this. And then there's the marquees and the animated banners or other images. Just too much for my old eyes and taste....

BTW: no need to quote an entire message when you reply here....
Imar
__________________
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
Don't get me wrong; I am not criticizing you; I am just telling you what I like and don' like.

Personally, I find background music on web sites really annoying; especially when there is no way to turn it off. It tends to interfere with the music I am listening to. That's why my sound is off; and I can't be bothered to turn it on. Nothing personal, but for me it adds no value.

It just so happens that the entire background is filled with this. And then there's the marquees and the animated banners or other images. Just too much for my old eyes and taste....

BTW: no need to quote an entire message when you reply here....
Imar
You can turn the music off. Just click the pause button on the iPod touch. The marquees will be removed and replaced with Javascript.
What do you mean by animated banners? None of the pictures are animated.

And by the way, criticism is good!

Also, if I were developing a professional site, I would definitely remove the animated starfield. However, this site is for a project I'm presenting to young children (mainly), and most of the time they will be watching a video that will be full screen, so they won't see the animated starfield. Rather, when I scroll down to the video on the site, they will say "Aah! Ooh! Moving background!"

If you look all the way on the bottom, so far only 208 people visited. You can see that my target audience isn't large - I don't intend for it to be large.

Finally, on my previous web site, I had an option to change the color of the background to a plain color. I'm sure you'll be happier with that. The problem is that the web site was based on frames, and I'm reluctant to use frames now. I even heard they're going to be remvoed in HTML 5. Do you know a way that I can accomplish the same thing without frames?

Last edited by andypandyrox456; April 7th, 2010 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Imar's Avatar
Wrox Author
Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands.
Posts: 17,079
Thanks: 80
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default

Quote:
You can turn the music off. Just click the pause button on the iPod touch.
I know; but you're missing my point. I don't *want* to click something on a web site to turn music off. I want it off by default. If you do need to provide music, then offer an opt-in model where you can click a button to turn it on.

Frames can be replaced with many things, depending on how you look at them or what you were using them for. Floating divs (that you can place side by side) and server side includes come to mind first.

Can you please not quote the entire message when you reply? It only clutters up this thread.

Cheers,

Imar
__________________
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Imar's Avatar
Wrox Author
Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands.
Posts: 17,079
Thanks: 80
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default

BTW:
Quote:
What do you mean by animated banners? None of the pictures are animated.
Images placed in a marquee qualify as an "animated image" if you ask me ;-)

Imar
__________________
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
BTW:

Images placed in a marquee qualify as an "animated image" if you ask me ;-)

Imar
Wikipedia - Animation is the rapid display of a sequence of images of 2-D or 3-D artwork or model positions in order to create an illusion of movement. It is an optical illusion of motion due to the phenomenon of persistence of vision, and can be created and demonstrated in a number of ways. The most common method of presenting animation is as a motion picture or video program, although several other forms of presenting animation also exist.

Marquee doesn't mean that it's animated. It just moves. It's like making a code that scrolls over an image and the image changes. It's not animation - it's two different images.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
test test Crystal Reports 0 August 21st, 2007 01:35 PM
if test=???? jmirickhai XSLT 9 August 25th, 2006 02:54 AM
test kristina Crystal Reports 0 June 14th, 2005 12:41 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.