Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript by Jon Duckett; ISBN: 978-0-470-54070-1
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with website

Hello everyone!
I would like to create a website, but I need some help with the code.
Please note that I don't want to use frames.
On the left I will be putting some links. This will take up very little space.
Each time you click on a link, a page will open on the rest of the screen space.
How can I do this/can someone provide me with a sample code?
Also, please note that I will be having a banner at the top of my page which will stretch across the full width of the page - both the left and the right. Thanks!
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can anyone please help?
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA, USA.
Posts: 477
Thanks: 10
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

The best way to deal with this is simply to use one generalized page structure for the entire site which includes a customizable content section. Then modify the content portion of the page for the purpose of each specific page. When you download the first page of the site, it needs to take time to draw in the CSS / JS files and all the images in the generalized template. The second page they visit (and ever page thereafter) already have all this material and only need to load any new files or images on the new page (ie stuff which wasn't already on the first). This makes the page appear to load much more quickly and can even beat AJAX in some cases because it doesn't require any scripting.

Otherwise, if you are trying to retrieve just a portion of a page and update it into a file, you have to use AJAX. Just keep in mind that this is significantly more complicated, and worse, you destroy your ability to use the forward and back buttons on the browser the way you'd expect. AJAX is really cool, but there are problems which is why I'd only resort to it as a backup choice if you can't use a template.
__________________
-------------------------

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
-Johann von Goethe

When Two Hearts Race... Both Win.
-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of www.EarthChronicle.com
A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniclemaster1 View Post
The best way to deal with this is simply to use one generalized page structure for the entire site which includes a customizable content section. Then modify the content portion of the page for the purpose of each specific page. When you download the first page of the site, it needs to take time to draw in the CSS / JS files and all the images in the generalized template. The second page they visit (and ever page thereafter) already have all this material and only need to load any new files or images on the new page (ie stuff which wasn't already on the first). This makes the page appear to load much more quickly and can even beat AJAX in some cases because it doesn't require any scripting.

Otherwise, if you are trying to retrieve just a portion of a page and update it into a file, you have to use AJAX. Just keep in mind that this is significantly more complicated, and worse, you destroy your ability to use the forward and back buttons on the browser the way you'd expect. AJAX is really cool, but there are problems which is why I'd only resort to it as a backup choice if you can't use a template.

I know perfectly well about templates.
My questoin was different, but I believe i found the answer.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA, USA.
Posts: 477
Thanks: 10
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypandyrox456 View Post
I know perfectly well about templates.
My questoin was different, but I believe i found the answer.
I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but glad you figured it out. I mentioned the templating option only because it is generally stronger and more robust unless you have really specific application requirements that make it impossible, in which case you need to use AJAX.
__________________
-------------------------

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
-Johann von Goethe

When Two Hearts Race... Both Win.
-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of www.EarthChronicle.com
A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

Last edited by chroniclemaster1; April 23rd, 2010 at 02:51 PM..
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 70
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniclemaster1 View Post
I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but glad you figured it out. I mentioned the templating option only because it is generally stronger and more robust unless you have really specific application requirements that make it impossible, in which case you need to use AJAX.
No it's ok. I realized I could just split the website into divs.


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reading from another website? fullingdale Beginning PHP 2 March 6th, 2009 03:27 AM
all about website benny HTML Code Clinic 2 February 11th, 2008 04:49 AM
Wrox website HarishASP BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 0 August 21st, 2007 08:37 PM
Dynamic website to Static website Aboal3ood ASP.NET 1.x and 2.0 Application Design 4 December 7th, 2006 11:46 AM
Link to a Website jmss66 VB How-To 3 June 15th, 2006 10:01 AM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.