Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Database > BOOK: Beginning Oracle Application Express ISBN: 9780470388372
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Oracle Application Express ISBN: 9780470388372
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Oracle Application Express by Rick Greenwald; ISBN: 9780470388372
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Oracle Application Express ISBN: 9780470388372 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Default beginning oracle application express

Using hosted APEX, I can't edit SQL scripts stored in an APEX application.
I am trying to edit a SQL script. I am at the
Home> SQL> SQL Scripts>SQL Editor
The name of the script is in the file name box, the cursor is blinking after the name of the script and the line editor window is open below the name box but it is empty. Pressing <return> does nothing and the script text is not loaded into the script editor for editing. Any thoughts? I am new to ORACLE and APEX. Thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 793, Level: 10 Points: 793, Level: 10 Points: 793, Level: 10
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

David K:

Need to know where you are in the book. I am using the hosted APEX and did not run into your problem. Let me know where you are, i.e., page #, chapter and number. Stick wiith it....don't give up.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM

Post Creating pages that integrate

In application express I have an "employee information page" that I need to update the database, also I need the inputted information to transferr to the next page 'staff_reservation_page' so that the employee information will also show on the reservation page to update the "reservation_table".

Tables: Request for Reservation (Employee info, travel date,time,purpose,destination);
Reservation (Request ID, Employee Name, Reservation ID,Travel date&time, vehicle Info)
Vehicle(Vehicle ID, Vehicle Information, Travel date)

This is a simple vehicle reservation system. Employee request the use of a company vehicle, the employee information is entered into the request table-the vehicle is selected-and all this information is combined the (employee infor and vehicle info) in the reservation table.

How do I do this using APEX?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace95 View Post
David K:

Need to know where you are in the book. I am using the hosted APEX and did not run into your problem. Let me know where you are, i.e., page #, chapter and number. Stick wiith it....don't give up.
Thanks for answering. I am on P167, start of Chapter 6. I tried using Notepad as the editor and got the results I posted in the first thread.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM

Default Thanks for answering. I am on page 167, Chapter 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace95 View Post
David K:

Thanks for answering. I am up to page 167,Chapter 6.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Friend of Wrox

David K:
Starting on page 167, this exercise is one of the longest, but I got through it. The only problem I had, which I did not realize until I ran the page and got an error, on #13, adding the calculation for Unit_Price. My problem at that point was the line kept wrapping. To resolve it, to where the entire calculation was on the same line, I just put the word "Total" instead of "Total Cost".... go figure. Word of warning: Make sure you can see the entire sceen because some of the buttons try to hide......

You do not need an editor since you are using the Hosted Account...
Code:
Starting at #6: Click Next will bring up the page with the Query Builder Button

#7: Click on the button, located near the bottom of screen that says Query Builder, screen shot figure 6.1 will show;

#8:Click on the tables on the far left, according to the list ..in that order;

#9: To Link, drawing a line from Primary Key in 1 table to Primary or Foreign Key in another Table, Click one-time, in the gray-box on the right-side of the column name, then click one-time in the next box,again on the right-side of column name. On my laptop the line is light-gray. Follow the list....and then move to #10;

#10: By clicking one-time on the left-side of the column, this time a check is visible, will automatically move that field to the lower half of the screen. Follow the list.

#11: The arrows are located on the left of the column field, Starting with Category, which is at the bottom of the list. Click the up arrow 1-time..this moves the variable up once. Keep clicking the up arrow until the column is the first in the list....
Follow the list in the book.

#12: At the top of the screen, where the buttons are located, click on the Return button. This will automatically place the SQL Script in the blank area below the Query Builder button.

#13: Add the Unit-Price calculation line Remeber what I had to do from above Watch the "" around the field names.

#14: Add the sort: ORDER BY ...... after that you are done
Hope this helps.

Last edited by peace95; July 14th, 2009 at 04:26 AM..
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default creating pages that integrate

lbrow1:
Your reservation system is a great candidate for Oracle APEX. It would be a great advantage on your part to go through the Oracle Application Express book. You learn more by doing and in the book you are building an application. Your application is much more than a "simple reservation system". For example, just based on what you stated , I have the following suggestions:
Code:
I would have 4 tables instead of 3:
  EMPLOYEETBL
   EmpID numeric (5) Primary Key,
   EmpName  varchar2(60),
   .....other employee information

VEHICLETBL
    vehID numeric(5) Primary Key,
    vehVin varchar2(30),
    vehType varchar2(10),
    vehmake, vehmodel, vehcomments,
    ...other vehicle info

TRIPTBL
     tripID   numeric(5) Primary Key,
     vehID  Foreign Key,
     EmpID Foreign Key,
     trip_StartDate  DATE,
     trip_EndDate  DATE,
      ....other trip info

RESERVATIONTBL
    resID numeric(5) Primary Key
    EmpID FK,
    TripID FK,
     VehID FK,
     Reservation_Status varchar2 (15)   --- "Open", "Closed","Pending", "Canceled"
    ApprovedBy varchar2(45)  --- LOV or query
     Approval_DATE  DATE
     Trip_Cost    ---may be a calculated field
Going through the APEX book you will definitely learn:
how to add the Calendar where the Date is required;
how to add LOV or a Query to your pages;
how to create reports as well as interactive reports;
how to use Navigation bars, as well as breadcrumbs and much more.
There is an old saying, ".... a stitch in time saves nine", you can't go wrong by going thru the book first. My favorite saying is..."If you can't do it right the first time, when will you find time to do it over?"

I am getting off the "soap box."

Hope this helps.....Good Luck.