I was experiencing the same problem when I tried the script for the first time. I am not sure if you are having Session issues. Check your login.php script. There is an errata item that mentions e-mail as an invalid variable name. Check all of your code for the e-mail string and change it to email. The same goes for the cmstables.php file. I had fixed it in this file, but had forgotten to change e-mail to email in the other files. As soon as I corrected the string problem, I was able to correctly login, and see all the links that an admin would. Hope this helps.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, unless you ask it more than once :)