Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQLWeb Development by Michael K. Glass, Yann Le Scouarnec, Elizabeth Naramore, Gary Mailer, Jeremy Stolz, Jason Gerner; ISBN: 9780764557446
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to Domonsura
Default Config Apache 2.0.49 for PHP4.3.5Win32

I need some help getting started. I have installed these two on a Win2000 server intending it to be a developement/educational server for me to learn HTML/PHP/MYSQL.
 I am at the point that I can get Apache to work fine, and it's serving pages perfectly (apart from my lack of imagination), but the minute I try to follow the doco to configure the php.ini file and Apache config file, Apache will not restart again, and gives the simple message"Requested operation has failed".
 I have been quietly trying various suggestions for a couple of weeks now, and have made no ground, can anyone help me out or point me in the direction of some "reliable" doco?
 I've gotta be missing something here, I'm a newb to the idea of coding html/php but normally don't have this much trouble with this sort of stuff.( And damned if I'm gonna let a machine beat me...)
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Domonsura
 I need some help getting started. I have installed these two on a Win2000 server intending it to be a developement/educational server for me to learn HTML/PHP/MYSQL.
I am at the point that I can get Apache to work fine, and it's serving pages perfectly (apart from my lack of imagination), but the minute I try to follow the doco to configure the php.ini file and Apache config file, Apache will not restart again, and gives the simple message"Requested operation has failed".
I have been quietly trying various suggestions for a couple of weeks now, and have made no ground, can anyone help me out or point me in the direction of some "reliable" doco?
I've gotta be missing something here, I'm a newb to the idea of coding html/php but normally don't have this much trouble with this sort of stuff.( And damned if I'm gonna let a machine beat me...)
First, go back to the original config files. If they work, the I suggest working from there.

Second, if it does not work, then post the config files, so we can look at them.

My guess is that you modified a setting that is not installed or not availible on Windows.

One suggestion is to change .htdocs and .htaccess to a more 'windows friendly' name. Windows 2000 probably will not have a problem, but hey why risk it.