Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional VB.NET 2003 by Bill Evjen, Billy Hollis, Rockford Lhotka, Tim McCarthy, Jonathan Pinnock, Rama Ramachandran, Bill Sheldon; ISBN: 9780764559921
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Default Chapter 17 IIS problems

Ok.. I'm a professional programmer, but this is my first attempt at a web app. I'm stepping through the first example in chapter 17 where you setup 2 text fields and 2 pushbuttons - one for server-side and the other for client-side. Anyway, I've carefully gone through the setup and for some reason I can't the the server side to work. I should see 'Click the button ==>' on BOTH the server and client text fields. I do see it on the client one, but not on the server. Additionally, when you click the server-side pushbutton, you should see the text field change. Well.. I don't. Is there something in the setup of IIS or the project that I did wrong?

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:54 AM

It turns out that apparently none of my aspx.vb's codebehinds work.
Any clues?

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to JonathanC

Hi
this could be anything from permissions, the iis or .net setup

first try reinstalling asp.net
Open the Visual Studio command prompt.
type aspnet_regiis /?

this will give you the options

you can use
-lv to list the installed versions (you should see entries here)
    it will also tell you if you are running the correct version
-i to install

create a standard web application thereafter and run the project.
make sure everything is working. Modify the source code a little bit and run it again to be sure.
Let me know of any errors if you receive them.

Jonathan

Jonathan Crossland
http://www.jonathancrossland.com
Old January 14th, 2004, 02:57 AM

Make sure the version of MSDE You installed has the pubs dattabase.
I installed the wrong instance of MSDN and had the same problems.
Here is the email from Microsoft support ...

Hi Glen,

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Developer Support in regard to case SRX040102606086 in which you were trying to run some samples from the Quick Start samples that are installed with VS.NET. You were getting error "Server does not exist or Access denied". This was because of the fact that all the samples are setup to use a specific MSDE instance name which is "machinename\NetSDK" or "(local)\NetSDK". The MSDE instance that you had was the instance that ships with VS.NET that has different name.

To solve this problem we removed the other instance and installed the correct one. Now you samples work great without errors.

Also...

Here is how I connected to the server without a password:

' Initialize the Connection object...
objConnection = New SqlConnection("Server=New\NetSdk;database=pubs;Int egrated Security=sspi")

I also had to setup the samples in MSDE by going in Windows explorer to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NetSDK\Data or somewhereabouts to setup the sample programs and databases (you will find the Pubs Database there)

I also had to add "Data Connnections" to the server explorer from the toolbar options or something like that, and then add the connection to the pubs dattabase by rightclicking data connections and then putting my server name and a \NetSDK. My computer name is NEW so I put NEW\NetSDK in the box. I checked Use Windows NT Intergrated security, selected the dattabase on the server (The test connection should work if everyting is ok), Then select OK.

I shure hope this helps. I am having alot of trouble with the DataGridUpdates project in chapter 17. I downloaded the code but where's the rest of the code for chapter 17???

Anyway goodluck!!!
Glen Conaway