Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases by Thearon Willis; ISBN: 9780764588945
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM
Authorized User

Default Chap 1 Where are the SQL table files?

When the various tables are created, where are they located on the drive. I find the mdf and _log.mdf files in:
E:\Visual Studio 8\Data Folders\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
But the date/time stamp did not change as I added the tables. Where is that info kept ... and can I specify an alternate location if I wish?

Old July 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to luishrd

Hi Jim,

Read this article:

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...p?p=19710&rl=1

Make sure you go to the next section at the botton for the explanation on how to do it with the Enterprise Manager. And after the DB is created you can modify it to your needs.

good luck

Old July 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Wrox Author

Jim,

The tables are created in the mdf file which is the data file for your database. The ldf file is your log file. SQL Server manages all of the objects in your database in the mdf file. Please review Chapter 1 on SQL Server for further details on this.

Thearon
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Authorized User

Thanks for your reply. The question I posed was why the date and time stamps of those files did not change when I altered the contents of the files. It implies that the files are stored somewhere else. I really would rather not have to read an entirely different book to find out this straightforward piece of info - where, specifically, are the files located on my drive (if I need to run SQL mgr to find out, can you please tell me what the steps I should take are)?

Thanks for your help!

Old July 8th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Wrox Author

Jim,

On a default installation of SQL Server, your database files should be located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data. Additionally, I was not talking about a separate book. Since you have posted your query in this forum I assume you have bought the book and this was the book that I was talking about.

Thearon
Old July 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Authorized User

Thanks to both of you, Luishrd and Thearon, for the information.

Luishrd, the article you posted a link to was helpful. I guess that no single book can contain all that is necessary to know.

Thearon, I do most definitely own the book (and a lot of other Wrox books). My highlighter has been busy in it. I definitely enjoy your clear writing style, and have been diligently working through the various Try It Out's and excercises. I'm just about finished with Appendix B creation of the UI from scratch, in fact.

However, after *careful* "re-review" of Chapter one, I cannot find anyplace that indicates where the SQL files are located on the drive, nor a "how to" for creating the initial SQL database from scratch.

I submit to you that a "beginner" who buys this book, and who does not have a DBA to confer with or lean on, will become very frustrated (as I did) when they hit the bottom of page 21 and try to go through the steps.

Here is my best crack at a revised set of page 21 - 22 steps for those who might need to create the SQL 2005 Server DB for Project Time Tracker from scratch ... but please don't take my word for it ... I'm just learning:

1. Start Visual Studio 2005

2. View the Server Explorer window and click AutoHide icon on the title bar so that the Server Explorer window stays visible.

3. Right-click the Data Connections node and choose "Create New SQL Server database" from the context menu.

4. In the "Server Name" combo box, select the name of the computer running the SQL Server instance which you want to use for your ProjectTimeTracker database.

5. Select "Use Windows Authentication" to keep things simple.

6. Enter the "ProjectTimeTracker" database name in the New database name field, and click OK.

7. A "ProjectTimeTracker" node is now present in the Data Connections tree in the Server Explorer window. Expand that node.

... continue with step 10 on page 22 of the book ...

FWIW, in my installation, the ldb and mdf files are located in:
E:\Visual Studio 8\DataFolders\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
(it's on drive E since I installed the data-related portions of VS on that drive, btw)

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interaction.

__________________________________________________ __________
aka TANSTAAFL ... "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Wrox Author

Jim,

You make a good point that maybe I should have included the file locations of the database and provided steps for creating the actual database itself. The section that I was pointing out in Chapter 1 was in reference to the fact that the two database files (data and log) contain all the objects created in SQL Server itself.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the book and don't forget to check the errata at www.wrox.com for any late breaking code fixes.

Thearon
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Authorized User

Thanks again, Thearon, for the excellent book, and for your timely responses and assistance.

I'll probably have more questions, and some errata input, as I continue the journey.

__________________________________________________ __________
aka TANSTAAFL ... "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"