Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C++ and Visual C++ > BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 by Ivor Horton; ISBN: 9780470500880
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Default Where to obtain software for Ivor Horton's Book--Beginning Visual C++ 2010

I just completed an online course in which MS Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition was used. To continue my study of this subject I purchased Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010.

Horton says that the Express Edition is not adequate for this book. I will need a version of Visual C++ 2010 (or Visual Studio 2010) that supports Microsoft Foundation Classes to use this book properly.

I have searched the net, talked to many vendors including Microsoft "certified technicians". I have been unable to get a clear answer on specific software that will satisfy the required conditions for using this book.

The most plausibly advice received is I must get the full version (no upgrade) of Visual Studio 2010 which retails for over $800.00.

If someone can help me identify the specific software needed I will greatly appreciate it. PS:I have recently been having trouble with downloads due to connectivity problems. If there is a source where I could get the required software on CD that would be best.

At this point I will appreciate any guidance provided. Thanks in advance.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM

lost most control of my fingers, body, have constant spasms & tremors (post-polio) now throat Cancer ,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type or move(but i ain't dead yet doggitt!)

kennygc
I am wondering myself about the actual cost and where2 buy it at its most reasonable price.
didn't mean 2 step on yout toes or hijack your queston. so please forgive me if i was suppose 2 ask another way.
The Following User Says Thank You to RTShaw For This Useful Post:
kennygc (August 29th, 2010)
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Default Locate S/W for Ivor Horton's Beginning VC++ 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTShaw View Post
lost most control of my fingers, body, have constant spasms & tremors (post-polio) now throat Cancer ,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type or move(but i ain't dead yet doggitt!)

kennygc
I am wondering myself about the actual cost and where2 buy it at its most reasonable price.
didn't mean 2 step on yout toes or hijack your queston. so please forgive me if i was suppose 2 ask another way.
Don't worry about stepping on any toes. I have been trying for so long to find affordable (usable) software to use for learning C++ I am thankful for any guidance or directions. Having taken a course in which I used Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition, I am just trying to continue with similar software adequate for Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010.

Thx
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Default Way late for this answer

I am way late in providing this response, but for future users who may have the same question. If you are a student you can download the complete version of Visual Studio 2010 professional from www.dreamspark.com. All you need to do is register your student email address and you are good to go. Note you want the professional version NOT the express version. With the professional version you should be able to do all the examples provided in the book. Hope this is useful to someone even though it is a bit late for the original poster.
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Default Software for Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010

Thanks Kellyanne.

I am not a student so I eventually went to Microsoft Store and bought the professional version of MS Visual C++ 2010 (very expensive).

There are so many adds that are very misleading--most are upgrades but the adds are not at all clear about that.

The SW is very good and Horton's book is first rate. You can read a few pages and recognize that the author is very careful about the clarity of his language and avoids the terminological sloppiness often encountered in technical writing.

When you study independently, as I must, you appreciate this level of care in conceptual precision and addition of complementary exposition exactly where needed.

The code provided on this site is very useful and saves me a lot of time.

Thanks to all...