Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C++ and Visual C++ > BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 by Ivor Horton; ISBN: 9780470500880
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Default Chapter 1 - Adding code files to an empty project

I am just starting this book and am in Chapter 1. I have created an empty project as the book shows and was able to type in code. What Ivor Horton does not tell you at this point is how to add one of the down loaded files to the project. I have attmepted to do this seemingly simple task, but nothing seems to do the trick. Here is what I have done:
After opening the project I Right Clicked in the Solution Explorer box. Then selected ADD NEW ITEM from the drop down menu. In the ADD NEW ITEM box I selected CODE under the installed templates and C++ file (.cpp) from the middle of the box. At the bottom of the Box I selected Browse located nex to the location field and selected the folder containing my unzipped fle. In the name box I entered the name of my file.

The system then went to the Editor box with only a line number 1 displayed but nothing else.Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Authorized User

http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...-DOWNLOAD.html
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Authorized User

create an empty native cpp project then openthe download code

or add an existing file

create clr console project, delete the cpp file add or open an existing downloaded file.
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Default Thanks for your response

Thank you very much for your response but I am still unable to add a file to the empty project which I created. From my original post you can see what I have already done so if you could please provide a little more detail to you solution, I would appreciate it.
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Default Problem solved

Thanks again for your help. The problem is now solved. At the point where I was selecting NEW ITEM, I should have selected EXISTING ITEM.