Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 by Ivor Horton; ISBN: 9780470500880
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Beginning Visual C 2010

Helo All, I am new to Learning the Language C and felt i should start with Visual C .please i need a guide on how to study and undastant the book Beginning Visual C 2010 because it seems volumenous and some what tiring to read..please i need advice
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Authorized User
Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5

creez,

Have you learned any other programming languages? If so, you should not find learning Visual C++ very different.

Are you taking a class in school which uses Visual C++. If so, your best bet is to question your instructor.

If you have never attempted to learn a programming language and are not in a programming class in school, here is my advice about tackling the book. The first thing is don't let the size of the book scare you. If you have not already read the introduction, read it first. Ask any questions you may have about the introduction, or use Google to get definitions and explanations.

Pay special attention to the instructions for how to start a project. Follow the instructions while you read them to see if you can make them work for you. If you cannot get a project started, there is no way you can run a program after you write it.

Also notice that the book includes more than one version of Visual C++. Take the time to learn to identify which version you are reading about and how to start a project correctly for that version.

With any programming language, you need to type example code and make sure that the code will run and give the proper results. (Also write the programs in the exercises included at the end of each chapter. Dopn't give up if you have problems with them. You have to learn each topic before giong t the nest one.) Visual C++ is no different. If you don't type the examples and try to run them, you will find it very difficult to learn the syntax (proper words and punctuation) to use. Don't be afraid to take notes on paper while you read to use for a reference when you begin to create projects and type code. I find notes to be a lifesaver when I am learning something which is new to me.

You must have Visual C++ installed on your computer to type or run the programs. The introduction says that you must have the full version of either Visual C++ or Visual Studio to use the entire book. The full version is a paid version. There is a free version named Visual C++ Express. The free version will not allow you to type and run any programs which use MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). These are the programs which have windows like you are accustomed to seeing on your computer. You can still run the other styles of programs using which use the command prompt window to display results.

These are general answers to your question. If you have specific questions, please give details which include what you don't understand or what is not working for you.

regards,
derpepper
The Following User Says Thank You to drpepper For This Useful Post:
creez (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Tanx Derpepper, i found ur post helpful..am kinda new to visual c++ and am jst trying to learn the language personally, dnt hv a teacher or instructor jst goin through d book step by step...
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:20 AM
Authorized User
Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5

You're welcome, creez. If you don't mind searching this forum, you can find some of my other posts which explain some of the things to do to get started. Some are topics whit are for instructional purposes, and some are buried inside other threads. Your time will be well spent in getting you started. I put quite a bit of time and effort into composing useful instructions to provide other people with help. If you wish, I can give instructions about how to find my (or anyone else's) posts by searching their screen name.

I respect your efforts to learn without a teacher and will be happy to help where I can. I know it can be difficult without someone to answer your questions. (I am learning in my spare time also ... along with going to school, working a job, and taking care of a handicapped family member ...)

Thank you for clicking the button to thank me!!!

regards,
drpepper
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:18 AM

Tanx once again drpepper, i wouldnt mind your help in starting Vc++ 2010,..wil read ur threads to get ur message for getn started...appreciate ur help
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Smile Just join.

Thank you, I will ask a lot of question.
Old December 25th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

Smile Introduction to C#

I am a new member of this forum and i am beginner of C# language. Pl help me in this way

regards

Qaiser awan