Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP.NET 4.5 > BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 4
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 4
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET MVC 4 by Jon Galloway, Phil Haack, Brad Wilson, K. Scott Allen; ISBN: 978-1-118-34846-8
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 4 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 6th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Authorized User
Points: 148, Level: 2 Points: 148, Level: 2 Points: 148, Level: 2
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Is anyone else finding this book terrible?

I know this book is for professionals, and while I am not coding in ASP.NET 40 + hours a week, I by no means consider myself a beginner.

With that said, I am having a terrible time following this book. It looks like from the "Continuity" post that others are having the same trouble.

The biggest problem I am having is that there are no instructions. The explanations seem to make sense to me but then when I try to follow the project, I am lost. There are little blocks of code here and there, and the author will often says "you could" or stuff like that. Then later the text seems to assume you have implemented that code even though it never made it clear that you should. Other times it seems like he leaves out lines of code.

For a while I found that if I read the tutorial at http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc...c-store-part-1, then I could get it figured out and move through the book, but I am almost done with chapter 5 now, and I'm lost again. I could probably trouble-shoot through it and figure it out, but I'm beginning to believe its not worth it.

This is disappointing because I have read through one other ASP.NET wrox book and it was great...

I guess maybe I just wanted to vent, but I am also curious if others are having the same troubles, or is it that I am just a little greener than I thought...
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

Default Using Wordpress with Windows IIS

I seem to be having the same problem as NOTSO - not so much having problems following the text, but finding the right information in the text to fit using Wordpress in IIS as my server. I've installed Wordpress in IIS on my system. I have no problem opening Wordpress, but that's as far as I can get. I have no information in the text that addresses how to upload Wordpress onto my IIS server. I've been used to developing sites using other text editors with no problems. I really want to start using Wordpress, but until I get this problem resolved, I'm at a roadblock. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:18 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdardard View Post
I seem to be having the same problem as NOTSO - not so much having problems following the text, but finding the right information in the text to fit using Wordpress in IIS as my server. I've installed Wordpress in IIS on my system. I have no problem opening Wordpress, but that's as far as I can get. I have no information in the text that addresses how to upload Wordpress onto my IIS server. I've been used to developing sites using other text editors with no problems. I really want to start using Wordpress, but until I get this problem resolved, I'm at a roadblock. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD
JD, I think you're posting in the wrong forum. This book isn't about Wordpress.
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:21 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3

Sorry you're frustrated and unhappy. You might want to try Rick Anderson's Intro To MVC tutorial first. http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc...o-aspnet-mvc-4
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:37 PM
Authorized User
Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3

Default It's a fine book

I have read the MVC2, MVC3 and now reading this MVC4 - and I think it's a very good book. But may be because I am not struggling against "MVC4 only" version, I do not notice that something is missing.

Anyway, I am waiting for MVC5 book in January.
Bootstrap is already "inside" in MVC5 - isn't it cool? I will not have to do it myself everytime like I did before :)
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to zhoufwind Send a message via Yahoo to zhoufwind
Default Seems not so bad

Alright, I am a new guy to learn MVC4, I choose it because it's on the top list, hopefully I can prove u r wrong when I finish reading it, lol.
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Authorized User

Default Professional

I hope you will like the book, but do not forget that this is "Professional" book - it expects that you are not a complete novice in programming and web-development.

If something is not clear in the book, I would recommend to go through "MVC Music Store" - tutorial (written also by Jon Galloway, one of the book's authors)
http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc-music-store

Or you can watch free videos at asp.net
http://www.asp.net/mvc/videos/plural...h-aspnet-mvc-4
(by Scott Allen, one of the book's authors)

or a free JumpStart course at MVA:
http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.c...id=Dn_81xqAv1u
(also by Jon Galloway)
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:16 PM

I think that the book is thorough, but I have one point of frustration. The book is about MVC4, but it is based on a tutorial built with MVC3 that has never been updated. I think that it would be much, much smoother if the MvcMusicStore tutorial matched the book.

For example, when I got to the part in the MvcMusicStore tutorial regarding Membership and Authorization, I found that the book and tutorial didn't match up at all after trying to use the WSAT to add an Administrator.
Old October 21st, 2013, 05:21 AM
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

i found it quite easy and interesting one to read up... just love it maximum
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM
Authorized User

Whoa, I passed today MSCD 70-486 "Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Application" :)

And the reason I got that far - because I started off at the right place. THIS book :)

PS: THIS book alone is not sufficient to pass the test because the test objectives cover more "material" - also Windows Azure, WIF, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oleg Kolpashchikov For This Useful Post:
jminatel (October 22nd, 2013)