Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Microsoft Robotics Studio ISBN: 978-0-470-14107-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio by Kyle Johns, Trevor Taylor; ISBN: 9780470141076
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Microsoft Robotics Studio ISBN: 978-0-470-14107-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old July 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Authorized User

Hi Trevor!

Thanks! I got it going with the manifest editor instead. You were right - the entities motor and the drive itself were disconnected via the manifest! Thank you so much for your patience. I am going to write up how to get it all going on my blog, which is more for me than anyone else.

Thanks again! Now I can start doing this thing!

-Quintin

Old July 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Authorized User

Hi Trevor,

I wrote out my solution, so that if anyone else wants it, they can find how I did it here:

http://robotexodus.blogspot.com/2008...simulated.html

Thanks so much again! It really says something that an author is so involved with the work he produces! I am sure that in the future my (possibly half russian) children will laugh at problems like this, if people are not laughing already...

-Quintin

Old July 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Wrox Author

Hi Quintin,

I'm very glad that you got it working. I am also very pleased to see that you documented what you did, not because you mentioned me, but because it helps the community.

Good luck with the rest of your project. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Trevor

Old July 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Authorized User

Dear Trevor,

Thank you so much again! The blog was something I always wanted to do so that others can benefit from the struggle.

Thanks for the wishes, I know I will probably be back for more help soon, but at least I can get my masters going now! I certainly will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to be finished by the end of this year.

The robotics has definitely sparked a new interest for me, I was actually planning to do a PhD in computer graphics (i.e. move away from A.I.), but the robotics is looking like a viable option as well now.

I hope your PhD is going well, please let me know when you publish papers or anything! Go well!

-Quintin

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Hi

I have downloaded your code samlpes from your page. Trying to build my own hexapod so i thought your work will make it much easier for me. Unfortunetly, i've got some problems with your hexapod code samples (Chapter9). I made my own DSS service (Dashboard, hexapod entity and hexapod differential drive were made partners). And the problem is with entity - service can't connect (http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotic...podentity.html doesn't work :/). Here's a code sample containing this service:

/// <summary>
/// HexapodEntityService partner
/// </summary>
[Partner("HexapodEntityService", Contract = hexapod.Contract.Identifier, CreationPolicy = PartnerCreationPolicy.UseExistingOrCreate)]
hexapod.SimulatedHexapodOperations _hexapodEntityServicePort = new hexapod.SimulatedHexapodOperations();

If i comment it, all stars well, unfortunetly without this service hexapods look like this: LINK no. 1

When i try to start with the service it goes like this:

Link no. 2 - error

Link no. 3 - Simulation ...

I have no idea how to solve it without this service and i don't think its possible (but maybe). I really hope you will be able to help!! Thanks in advance.

Mathew

[EDIT:]

Well i figured out some mistakes i made, still have that problem with hexapod entity service ...
Link no. 4 - Error2

Last edited by skrot; May 11th, 2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Hi

I'm trying to build my own hexapod. I downloaded samples from your page, copied code from them (chapter 9 exactly) into a new dss service (with dashboard, hexapod differential drive and hexapod entity as partners).

With yours already built creating my own would be easier but i have a problem with hexapod entity. It just doesn't work 'cause can't enter this page: http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotic...podentity.html. It's all ok with the drive (http://www.promrds.com/Contracts/200...tialdrive.html) - works fine. Below i paste 3 link to the error messages i receive:

Link no. 1 - error

Link no. 2 - that how it looks

When i comment this service (hexapod entity) all runs almost "fine" :P

Link no. 3

I was pretty sure it would look like something close to link no. 3 because without entity can't run properly so that's why they lie on the ground ...

Can yuo help me in solving this problem with the service ?? Thanks in advance!!

Mathew

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Authorized User

Default re: Hexapod

Dear Mathew,

As the starter of this thread, I thought I would respond. I'm not sure what Trevor is up to, but I'm sure if you give him a few days he'll get back to you. One thing I know is that the code for the textbook was made to work for pre-release versions of MRDS. There may be some tweaking to get it to work in the 2008 final release.

Unfortunately my MRDS is now very rusty, South Africa isn't the best place to be a robotics programmer, so my field of study has actually entirely changed from my Masters to my PhD, which is really unfortunate.

However I do remember that MRDS is very picky on the location of objects, so it may be the location of the web service (http://www.promrds.com) or the actual drive location of the files themselves.

All the best,
Quintin

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Wrox Author

Default No sure of status

Sorry, I do not monitor this forum regularly. I spend most of my time in the Microsoft RDS Forums.

I don't know if you ever solved your problem and the links seem to be broken now.

Trevor