Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services ISBN: 978-0-470-24201-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services by Paul Turley, Thiago Silva, Bryan C. Smith, Ken Withee; ISBN: 9780470242018
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services ISBN: 978-0-470-24201-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 6th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Authorized User

Post Data Set Manipulation.

I have one report to be developed this report I have developed in VB6/Crystal Report by Using Active Data ( TTX ). In that report I have taken raw data from database tables and and i have done some manipulation in a run time ADO recordset and then supply it to the report. my question is how can we handle such kind of reports which required high amount of manipulation to convert raw data into meaning full data, in simple is there any way we set the design and then at the time of execution the report we pass dataset to the report to display the contents?

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Authorized User

Default Re: Data Set Manipulation

Riaz,

If I understand your question, it sounds to me as if the data manipulation would be properly located in an ETL process that creates a data mart or warehouse that in turn serves as the data source for reporting. The mart/warehouse could be relational or multidimensional, though the former would be more straightforward to implement.

I have worked on a relational warehouse that generates historical aggregated values based on the transaction system and was used strictly for reporting purposes. There can be numerious challenges involved in this approach, including the latency of the warehouse with respect to changes made to the transactional data that are either included or not included in reporting for a particular period. This particular problem is something that has to be dealt with in relation to the organization's business rules.

Of course, this means the manipulation takes place prior to report execution. If a mart/warehouse isn't possible or practical, perhaps the manipulation can be modularized in stored procedures within the transactional db?

Have I oversimplified your question?

Rob B.

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Wrox Author

Perhaps if you could give a specifc example of data you need to visualize in the report and what you want to do with it, I can answer your question.
Author: SQL Server Reporting Services Recipes for Designing Expert Reports; Professional SQL Server Reporting Services (2000, 2005, 2008 & 2012), Beginning T-SQL (2000, 2005 & 2008), SSIS, SSAS & Access

Old October 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Authorized User

Post Data Set Manipulation

Yes, I may give you specific example, we have one Car Rental Company in our group of companies. The Management Of the Car Rental Company asked me to give them a Report of those vehicles which are purchase in or after 2005 and has ran 30,000 within a span of 60 Days. We have fleet of 16000 vehicles almost 12000 vehicles are purchase after or in 2005. We have one fleet Master Table from where I filtered the vehicles purchase in or after 2005 then we have Check In Check Out Table in that table we have Date Out/Date In, KM OUT/KM In, I am scanning vehicle one by one in check in check out whereever the 60 days completed I check the total KM ran if the criteria if met like total days are 60 and total kms are of 30,000 or more than that then i write that record into another ADODB.RECORDSET after checking all the vehicles whoever is qualifying by my criteria I am writing those records in a seperate recordset and at the end of check in check out file I just pass that recordset to Crystal Report and Crystal Report will display the contents in pre-designed format.