Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional WCF 4: Windows Communication Foundation with .NET 4
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional WCF 4: Windows Communication Foundation with .NET 4 by Pablo Cibraro, Kurt Claeys, Fabio Cozzolino, Johann Grabner; ISBN: 978-0-470-56314-4
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional WCF 4: Windows Communication Foundation with .NET 4 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Default Unable to generate the wsdl via svcutil

Hi,

Page 37 have us run the svcutil to generate the 3 files (tempuri.org.wsdl, temputi.org.xsd, and the schema for simple .net types).

I tried running the utility but got me an error saying it cannot generate the wsdl as I have no access to c:\tempuri.org.wsdl...

I tried using the out parameter to tell it to generated on a new folder I created and this time it said Warning: Cannot generate XmlSerializer for assembly x. No service contract in the assembly has an operation with XmlSerializerOperation Behavior, which is true given that all we have written so far is

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.ServiceModel;

namespace Wrox.CarRentalService.Contracts
{
[ServiceContract()]
public interface ICarRentalService
{
[OperationContract]
double CalculatePrice(DateTime pickupDate, DateTime returnDate,
string pickupLocation, string vehiclePreference);
}
}

I am indeed new to WCF!

Any ideas as to how I go about using the svcutil? I even copied it directly to the c drive as its location plus the location of the .dll I created are long names.

I appreciate any feedback as I like to understand as I go along, but understand how it works and will continue with the reading for now.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Hi ptiiCarlos,

I've tried exactly the same command (svcutil Wrox.CarRentalService.Contracts.dll) and it works. Are you using additional parameters like /t:XmlSerializer? Post the complete command line are you using.
Try to copy the .dll file in a temp folder, like c:\Temp, and then run the command from this folder.

HTH
Fabio
The Following User Says Thank You to Fabio.Cozzolino For This Useful Post:
ptiiCarlos (October 11th, 2010)
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Default It worked! Thanks.

Hi Fabio,

Indeed, when I copied the SvcUtil.exe and the .dll to a temp folder, changed my directory to it, and ran the utility from there inside the dos window, it created the three files as the book says!

Thank you so much for such a quick response, I really appreciate it!
Carlos