Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows ISBN: 978-0-470-12677-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows by Benjamin Nitschke; ISBN: 9780470126776
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows ISBN: 978-0-470-12677-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM

Default Deploying Windows Project to 360

I'm just starting the book and was frustrated by the fact that it says to create a "Windows Game" project (p.15) and then "switch to the Xbox 360 output" (p.26) when you want to deploy the project to the 360. I looked and looked for a way to make this switch, then did some googling, and apparently, this is not actually supported. I did find a guy who provides project templates that support both Windows and 360 here: http://xna.tiddlyspot.com/#%5B%5BBui...0project%5D%5D

If the ability to switch the output of a "Windows Game" project to 360 is something that was previously available but has been removed, I think this would be a good topic for the Errata.

Anyway, I thought I share this in case anyone else hits the same frustration.

Old July 30th, 2007, 02:09 AM

Benjamin has released a tool to switch your project to any output and any Visual Studio framework.

Check this link on his blog: http://exdream.no-ip.info/blog/2007/...08Support.aspx

Suscribing to the XNA RSS feed on Benjamin's blog is a good way to know about what's going around his book.

I hope it helps to solve your problem.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM

Thank you, but actually I think the link I provided is more helpful. That utility runs outside of Express Studio, and I don't even know if it would work for a project I have open in Express Studio when I run the utility. The dual-target template, however, lets me change the deployment platform on the fly with a simple dropdown right there in the IDE itself.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM

I wonder if such a feature will be in the next version of the framework.