Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows ISBN: 978-0-470-12677-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows by Benjamin Nitschke; ISBN: 9780470126776
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows ISBN: 978-0-470-12677-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM

Default Two book samples won't load in Xbox 360

Two of the game samples used in the book won't load on the Xbox 360.
For example, DungeonQuest, after compiling and deploying to the Xbox 360, when you load the game, I get a black screen, then after 4 seconds, it just goes back to the XNA Game Launcher screen with no errors in the debugger.

XnaShooter does the exact same thing but with the following errors:

1. "An unhandled exeption of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Xml.dll Additional information: There is an error in XML document (0, 0)."

This error highlights the following code in GameSettings.cs:

Code:
GameSettings loadedGameSettings = 
    (GameSettings)new XmlSerializer(typeof(GameSettings)).
    Deserialize(file);

2. "An unhandled exception of type 'System.TypeLoadException' occured in XnaShooterXbox360.exe"

This error highlights the following code in BaseGame.cs:

Code:
int resolutionWidth = GameSettings.Default.ResolutionWidth;
Also to note, I downloaded the latest source files from http://abi.exdream.com.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Wrox Author

Send a message via ICQ to abi.exdream.com

I'm sorry that those samples don't work for you, I have always tested them first on the Xbox 360, but there are many things that can go wrong.

BTW: The Dungeon Quest game was not part of the book ^^

The GameSetting exception can be caught and ignored (game settings are not that important on the Xbox 360 anyways, the other error is basically telling you that the GameSettings are not correct (which should be fixed by catching the first exception).

I will update the XNA games shortly to XNA 2.0 and test them again on the Xbox 360 to make sure everything is in order. The updated code can then be found on http://XnaProjects.net

http://abi.exdream.com