Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 2.0 and Visual Studio. 2005 > .NET Framework 2.0
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
.NET Framework 2.0 For discussion of the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the .NET Framework 2.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 8th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Default Autostart a Windows Service

I am making an installshield installer and install a service during the install using installutil.exe. I would like to make this service autostart when windows boots up, is this possible? If so, how?

I thought this was more of a .net topic than an installshield one.

Thanks,

James

Old August 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Authorized User

Normally, when creating a windows service in .NET you use an ServiceInstaller to install the service. The ServiceInstaller contains a property named StartType (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.serviceprocess.serviceinstaller.starttype(v s.80).aspx). You can set this property to one of the ServiceStartMode values (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.serviceprocess.servicestartmode(VS.80).aspx ).

So in your case, you need to set it to Automatic which indicates that the service needs to be started automatically.

Hope this helps.

Greetz,

Geert

http://geertverhoeven.blogspot.com
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Many thanks for your reply. It is one of our other developers that has worked on the service and I am responsible for making the installer.

I've been doing some research on how Windows Services work and am I right in thinking that the installutil.exe is how all services are installed onto Windows (it's not a case of placing an exe onto the hard drive as in an application?)?

If so, am I right in assuming that there aren't any parameters that can be passed into installutil.exe that can make it autostart and that the only way to do this is by setting the ServiceStartMode property to Automatic in .net?

Old August 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM

In .NET you create a class that implements ServiceInstaller I believe and installutil looks for this when installing your service. In the ServiceInstaller, you specify the start type and so on. So you do not specify start type in the service but in the service installer. In other words you are correct, the installutil does not explicitly have an option to set the start mode.

Also installutil is used for installing .NET services onto a Win32 machine that supports services (WinNT/2k/XP/Vista). Installutil will not install C++ executables for example. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...95(vs.80).aspx for usage.