Wrox Programmer Forums
|
.NET Framework 2.0 For discussion of the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the .NET Framework 2.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 25th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via AIM to vgsgowrisankar
Default .NET Deployment

Hi,
          I have created one .net window application and i deployed it. i want to install the software on client side. They need to install the software in 5 machines. i have a doubt with this concept.
     I know I should copy the database in their server.
     But doubt about .net exe.
     Shall I install the software in each and every client machines.
               (or)
     Install the software in their server and give the
     Sharing to all clients machines.
    Which one gives better performance?
                                            thank you.

Old April 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Friend of Wrox

If its a windows program then installing it on the client PC is probably the way forward.

The main reason for this isn't actually performance (although it would probably be faster) but security.

Network shares don't have the same permissions as local drives when you are running .Net applications.

You might consider using Click Once (do a search for more details) which will mean that the application will automatically be updated.

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/

Old April 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Authorized User

Thank you for your Answer for my previous doubts sir .

i have another one doubt. i want to give the software with security. if i install the software in a client machine. the exe will be load in their machine. but without get the permission they can able to copy the exe and they can use the same software for other machines. i want to prevent that problem sir .

Old April 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Friend of Wrox

I'm not aware of anyway of doing this simply. Basically if you are giving the user read and execute permissions on a file then they can copy the file to anywhere they want - be that another PC in your network or a completely different PC. This wouldn't change whether the files where fun from a file share or the local PC.

What exactly are you concerned about? If you control access to the database then only authorised users should be able to use the application.

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Authorized User

Sir i clearly explain to you,

For example , in a client side they have two client machines and one server machine. i install the sql db in their server and i install the software in one client machine for cost. if they want to install the software on another one machine. they have to pay the money to me. but the issue was in the first machine there is a exe. by using that exe they can copy paste the exe in second client machine. and they can work . it should be control sir. because they are two groups . but they can use the single software because their requirements are same. so if i install the software to one group they can use that same software for another one groups without pay the money to me sir .

Old April 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Friend of Wrox

In that case you need to investigate some form of registration or license key system so that your program checks for the existence of this key upon start-up.

I haven't worked with any such systems but I suspect a google will reveal some products available that meet your needs.

Old April 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Friend of Wrox

To supplement what Sam suggests:

The key to this solution is that you need remote activation so you can restrict activation to a single installed instance.

We have some software that is locked using PACE AntiPiracy Interlok. It's a flexible system with lots of locking options. One of them is internet activation. You might look into using that.

-Peter
peterlanoie.blog