Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
.NET Framework 2.0 For discussion of the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the .NET Framework 2.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 8th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Authorized User

Default To Robzyc

Hi robzyc

i want to use a textbox to retrieve a record from a database and populate the fields with that record. Sort of searching from a database and returning a record into the fields.

supertedz
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi

Firstly, I'm sorry I'm not Rob. We know he's the best and you only want the best people answering your questions but this is a public forum, so I don't care and am going to answer anyway. I apologise if my answer isn't as good as the one I'm sure you'd get off Rob.

Secondly, you haven't given us much to go on. You obviously want to use the .Net framework to access some kind of database but you don't say what kind. MySQL? Access Database? FoxPro? dBase?

You also want to display this to the user in a textbox. Is this on a windows form, or on a web page perhaps? They both have text boxes.

If you are new to the .Net framework then could I recommend getting a good beginners book on the subject. Alternatively you might be interested to know there is a technology in .Net called ADO.Net - there are also books on this subject, or numerous tutorials on the internet which are free to help you learn.

Once you've tried a few things if you're still stuck feel free to come back and ask any of the people who use the forum (or just ignore everyone else and seek out the wunder-Rob again) for some help on the particular issue you are having.

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Teddy,

Sorry I was unable to answer you query as quickly as Sam, but he is just as awesome as me (as are the other guys that contribute on here) so please don't think any less of his reply - as always, he is right on the mark.

I got tied up trying to save the world. So much to do, so little time, sadly I am bound by the laws of relativity and can only fly so fast. :D

Rob
http://cantgrokwontgrok.blogspot.com