Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Database > Oracle ASP
Password Reminder
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Oracle ASP Using ASP with Oracle databases. For Oracle discussions not specific to ASP, please see the Oracle forum. For more ASP discussions, please see the ASP forum category.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Oracle ASP section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Authorized User
Points: 195, Level: 3
Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , , .
Posts: 42
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Problem with editing/refreshing MVs/Snapshots for an Oracle 8i database


I am administering an ASP.NET 2.0 ecommerce website that runs on top of an old legacy Oracle 8i database. I administer the database using TOAD. I have recently attempted to add a new set of flags to the master product table in order to make a set of labels appear for certain products.

The 8i database pulls information from its own store of product info, and combines it with pricing information drawn from an outside Oracle system. The final "master product" table is the result of a Materialized View (MV) or Snapshot, and this table is what the website looks at using a stored procedure when it populates a page template with product info. The process works like so:

1. PRODUCTS_TABLE plus MASTER_PRICE_TABLE are "pulled from" by the
2. Materialized View/Snapshot Script, which combines teh "downstream" data into a final table called
3. MV_MASTER_PRODUCTS (table resulting from MV)
4. MV_MASTER_PRODUCTS is called by a Proc, and this info is used to create a dynamic webpage.

Recently I added several new fields to the tables "downstream" and "upstream" of the MV/snapshot that builds the final master product table. I discovered, however, that my copy of TOAD doesn't want to let me edit the MV script itself in order to add commands to pull data up from these new fields. Although the lower levels of the database are still OK, the final MV_MASTER_PRODUCTS table (to which I added fields) is now empty, and when I attempt to refresh the MV/snapshot to populate this table, nothing happens (no error message, just no activity). Because this top-level tabel is now empty, my website can't pull data from it.

1. Is this problem caused by the fact that the PRODUCTS_TABLE and/or the MV_MASTER_PRODUCTS tables both now have additional fields that are not referenced in the MV/Snapshot script itself, and these changes are causing the script to "stall"?

2. Are MV scripts not meant to be edited, or is this just a problem with TOAD, or with my permissions? i.e., am I supposed to create a new MV to replace the old one instead of editing the existing script?

3. One final thing: I made a duplicate of the final MV_MASTER_PRODUCTS table which is still populated with the last data refresh. This is, I believe, just a regular table with no connection to a snapshot, so I don't expect it would have anything to do with MV_MASTER_PRODUCTS failing to refresh/repopulate, but I thought I should mention it just in case.

Thank you for any advice!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ODBC connections to Oracle 8i GuidoDB SQL Server 2000 1 January 23rd, 2007 03:17 PM
Oracle 8i database files on Palm wwwdirzala Oracle 0 February 10th, 2005 06:59 AM
Oracle 8i inner join and left join problem puteri_84 Oracle 2 August 19th, 2004 07:14 AM
Connecting Oracle 8i - OracleDeveloperSuite10g shamsad Oracle 0 April 10th, 2004 05:15 AM
connection for Oracle 8i kosla78 ADO.NET 1 September 3rd, 2003 02:41 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.