Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 9th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Default Installing a WinXP VB6 application on others O.S.

Hi,
I am Italian and my English is terrible, so I hope you can understand what I am writing.

I have a VB6 sp5 application running from years.
I was developing on Win 98 and Win 2000 pro.
The installation kit builded by VB6 tool was working fine.

Some week ago I upgraded a development machine to Win XP pro.
Inside the project I have changed the reference from ADO 2.6 to ADO 2.7, since WinXP come with MDAC 2.7

After rebuilding my installation kit on Win XP, if I try to install it on PC with Win 98, 2000 or NT it destroys something of the O.S. so that it is impossible reboot the PC. On another Win 2000 PC it asks to reboot the system, continuously without installing the application.

Any tip ? Can you help me ?
thanks in advance for any help.
Marco Veniani

Old September 11th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Friend of Wrox

Marco,

Do you use the Packaging Wizard that comes with VB. If so, the packaging wizard seeks to update the system files based on the computer it is compiled on. The fix for this is:

The first place the packaging wizard looks is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist. Put the system files for the system you are compiling for in this folder and everything will be fine (the system files I remember offhand are SCRRUN.dll, MSVcrt.dll, stdole32.tlb and OLEAUT32.dll I am sure there are more).

If you don't do this, it takes the files from your system folder, which causes this behavior.

Yehuda

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Yehuda,
thanks for you answer!

Yes, I use the standard VB Packaging wizard.
Since I saw that building the kit on Win 98, it works fine on every
O.S. aside win XP, at the end I decided to build 2 different kit,
one for XP (on a XP machine) and the other for all the other O.S. (on a PC with Win 98).
Thiw way solves my problem.

Bye,
Marco Veniani