Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 15th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to yeeck
Default Microsoft DCOM RPC patches

Hi, I was able to create a DCOM client/server app. However, on the DCOM server side, I was able to invoke the methods on it from a remote DCOM client on a Windows 2000 machine which has yet to be patched with the recent DCOM RPC security patches from Microsoft. Machines that have been fully patched are cannot be reached, with the exception when I tried on a fully patched Windows 2000 Advanced Server machine. This means that I tried unsuccessfully on patched Win2K Pro and WinXP Pro machines

After doing some reading up on antivirus and security sites, it seems that these patches which are designed to block the DCOM RPC vulnerabilities exploited by the Blaster worm blocks the very same ports that are used by DCOM applications, eg 135 etc.

Is there a way to code my DCOM client/server application to utilize alternative ports? My organisation's Security Team insists that all machines are patched and requires any DCOM apps to use alternative ports. Does anyone know how do I go about doing this? Or if this is not possible, what are the best reasons to overcome the Security Team's concerns? ;)

Thanks & regards,
Kelvin