Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to cmualo
Default Activex Dll Problem, Error in : Class does not sup

To all helpful members,

Did anyone can help..., urgent ...

The problem i facing is[u]

1. I have a Activex dll project, and i was successfully compiled and install in the user PC, and it worked well.

2. Few day later, i use back the same Activex dll project without make any changed. I recompiled this Activex, and install into user PC, but i was getting an error of "Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface".

3. I very comfirm that, i did not make any changed to this dll project. But, why when i recompiled the same dll project, it will getting this error.

DID ANYONE CAN HELP..... PLS....

THANK IN ADVACNCED.......................................

cmualo

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to gbianchi

hi there...

this is dll hell.. whats happend is that when you recompile it it rebuild the entry point for every function in the dll, so everything changes internally for the activeX. If you said that didn't change anything, why recompile it???

in this case, you are force to re compile every exe that use that dll to match the version of them...

HTH

Gonzalo

================================================== =========
Read this if you want to know how to get a correct reply for your question:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
^^Took that from dparsons signature and he Took that from planoie's profile
My programs achieved a new certification (can you say the same?):
WORKS ON MY MACHINE
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000818.html
I know that CVS was evil, and now i got the proof:
http://worsethanfailure.com/Articles...-Hate-You.aspx

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

When you re-compile a dll you can select an option to maintain binary compatiblity. When it is appropriate to do this, the result is that any code that uses the dll will not have to be recompiled to be able to do so.

There are a couple of steps that you must follow to be able to maintain binary compatibility:
- 1: Compile the dll and save it in a folder that you have created for the purpose of keeping your binary compatible dll. You need to keep this dll so that from now on any time you recompile your dll VB will be able to use this dll as it creates the new dll.
- 2: On your project properties dialog select the Component tab and check the Binary Compatibility option in the Version Compatibility section. You will need to browse to the location of your compiled dll that you set aside for compatibility using the file browser dialog.

Now, when you rebuild your dll, binary compatibility will be maintained.

Behind the sceen VB uses the GUIDs and type library in your previously compiled dll to determine the GUIDs that are required to maintain compatibility, and it also checks on the differences between the existing dll and the new one being compiled to determine if binary compatibility can be maintained.

In your case, if you can get a copy of the origianlly compiled dll, you should be able to drop that into a folder and use it for the referenced binary compatibility resource.

There are numerous books and resoures that can step you through all of this. One very good book on ActiveX in Vb is Dan Appleman's Developing Activex Components With Visual Basic 6.0. You can probably pick up a used copy on the internet for just a few bucks.

Woody Z
http://www.learntoprogramnow.com
How to use a forum to help solve problems