Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

Default Database Multi User Help

Hello,

I am trying to have a login form which uses a microsoft access database to retrive the username and password.

How can I do this as I cannot work it out and its really frustrating me!

Thank you

Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Friend of Wrox

"Hello" — superfluous
"I cannot work it out" — superfluous
"Its [sic] really frustrating me!" — superfluous

Though you added much that did not advance the question, you did not add enough that did advance the question.

The phrase "uses a microsoft access database to retrive [sic] the username and password" is perplexing.

Did you mean: "I am trying to create a login form with username and password on it, and to retrieve those values to use in connecting to a Microsoft Access database."?

Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:37 AM

Hi - sorry about that

yes I meant "I am trying to create a login form with username and password on it, and to retrieve those values to use in connecting to a Microsoft Access database."?

How can I do that?

Thanks

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Friend of Wrox

Visual Studio has a login form wizard that will just about do it all for you.

Use the wizard, keeping it simple, then analyze what it is that the wizard creates for you.

Then you can modify that to fill your needs best.

The nice thing about creating a form with the Wizard, is that if you don't like it you can just delete it and try again with different options in the wizard. Though the Wizard creates a lot of code, it's not like you have personally invested much effort to get all that code.

Once you have the username and password, you can use them to set up a connection object.

Old February 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Hi,

How do you load the wizard up?

Old February 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Friend of Wrox

Open VB.
Select Application Wizard; Click Open
Skip the profile (Select Next)
Select SDI (Next)
Deselect all [u]M</u>enus (Next)
Get rid of all toolbars (<< [u]N</u>ext)
No resource file ([u]N</u>ext)
No Internet Access ([u]N</u>ext)
Check the [u]L</u>ogon dialog to accept an ID and Password ([u]N</u>ext)
Leave the Data Access pane as you found it, empty ([u]N</u>ext)
[u]F</u>inish

An application will be created with a login form, and almost nothing else.