Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB.NET 1.0 > Pro VB.NET 2002/2003
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 For advanced Visual Basic coders working .NET version 2002/2003. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB.NET.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Default Product Activation Code (Urgent)

Actually we have developed a Product in VB.Net and Sql 2000.

This product is not a freeware. So we would like to impliment Product Registration concept. How can we do that.

I want to generate a Registration Code like
  12345-ASD345-54698-89456-EEE55

Which is the best method to follow and how can i generate codes dynamically like what i have mentioned above. And how can i impliment this.

Anybody Please help us. Because we are in the Stage of Releasing the Product.

Old September 4th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Authorized User

Hi

Desaware, has a control that will do exactly that,
http://www.desaware.com/products/lic...tem/index.aspx

Duncan
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Hi Ducan

Thanks for your reply.

I have chacked that link what you have given. But it is payable. If you could guide me some logic it will be very usefull for me. Because i cant ask my company to buy that. They are asking me to develop on my own. Please help me.

With Thanks
Madhan

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Authorized User

Hi

You said the product was not freeware, so I asume clients will be paying for this product, so add this into the cost of the product.

Also you said you were in the stage of releasing the product, by that I assumed the development and testing stage was complete and the product was ready to roll out.

I know the product is $1400, but believe me you and your company will spend more than $1400 developing & testing an in house version.
For example, lets say your company charges your time at $50 per hour, that only gives you 28 hours to develop & test a registration utility, a tall order in anybody books.

This way it is a proven system, tested by a number of testers and developers at Desaware, before being released. From what I can tell from there website it would be installed into your product within a couple of hours. My company is currently evaluating this product at the moment for inclusion in several of its products.

PS I'm not affiliated with Desaware in way, I just don't believe in reinventing the wheel, too many companies spend countless hours developing controls inhouse when something already exist, I know there are times when you have to develop a control or an application to achieve a specific task, but that's quite rare these days.

Duncan
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Thanks Duncan

This is a great Ananlysis, what you have given to me. I will explain to this top my company and i will make sure to purchase that product.

Thanks for your reply and advice

Cheers
Madhan

Old September 6th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Authorized User

Hi

At the end of the day it was just my opinion, why make life harder than it already is....

Duncan