Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB.NET 1.0 > Pro VB.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 For advanced Visual Basic coders working .NET version 2002/2003. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB.NET.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 11th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default CryptoAPI Private Key Dialog Box

I am using the Microsoft.Web.Services.Security and System.Security.Cryptography namespaces to access the certificate store and extract a private key from a certificate that I can use for decryption and digital signing.

The problem is that when I request the key a modal dialog box with the caption 'Exporting your private exchange key' is displayed stating that 'An application is requesting access to a protected item.' It states that the protected item is a 'CryptoAPI Private Key.' If the user clicks the OK button then I can use the private key, otherwise a System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicExceptio n exception is thrown.

I can understand why this dialog box is shown and why I can not access the private key until the user allows me to do so, however I was wondering if there was a way the user could associate their certificate with my application so that they are not requested to allow access to the key every time the app starts. I do not mind the box being displayed the first time they use the certificate however I think it will annoy my user base if they have to click OK every time they start the app.

Here is a simplified example of my code:
Code:
Imports System.Security.Cryptography
Imports Microsoft.Web.Services.Security.X509

Module Module1
    Sub Main()

Dim store As X509CertificateStore
        Dim cert As X509Certificate
        Dim privateKey As New RSACryptoServiceProvider

store = X509CertificateStore.LocalMachineStore("My")

If store.OpenRead() Then
            cert = store.Certificates(0)
            privateKey.FromXmlString(cert.Key.ToXmlString(True))
            'Do some fancy encryption stuff with the private key...
        End If

End Sub
End Module
Note that this code will only work if you add a reference to the Microsoft.Web.Services.dll and have at least one certificate with a private key in it within the Personal section of the Local Computer certificate store.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Owain Williams
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Friend of Wrox

I have found the reason why the dialog box is being displayed, it is because when I imported the certificate into the certificate store I enabled strong private key protection. If this is not enabled then no dialog box is displayed when I extract the private key.

My next question is again regarding the private key. If I do not mark the key as exportable then I can not use it, what is the point of this? I have a private key but I can not use it. Am I accessing the key in a peculiar way? Is there a way of accessing the keys without extracting them from the X509Certificate and importing it into the RSACryptoServiceProvider?

I can not seem to find many details about the CspParameters class that can be used in the constructor for the RSACryptoServiceProvider, does anyone know where I can find more details and if this class would help me gain access to the certificates?

Regards
Owain Williams