Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB.NET 1.0 > Pro VB.NET 2002/2003
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 For advanced Visual Basic coders working .NET version 2002/2003. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB.NET.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: , , .
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2002 Access VBA compatibility with older versions

I am learning to develop (anything) with Access. At work I have created a front end/back end contacts database. (It took over a month an half because of the learning process!).....

Anyway, so I am about done with this thing and after converting the MDB file to 2000 format (that is the lowest version that is running on any of the computers that will use this), the damn thing doesn't work.

Is there some kind of reference that I need to download and install on the destination computers...Is there something I can download to incorporate with my MDB file so it will run on older versions...

In reality, I would like to make it an MDE file and distribute it to my co-workers. Is there some way to do this?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Port Orchard, WA, USA.
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

You haven’t really said what the problem is, so it will be approximately equal to impossible for anyone to render you any assistance.

Please “unpack” the statement “the d--n thing doesn't work.” The specific failure will have much to do with what would remedy it.

You say that you have a front-end — back-end arrangement, but you refer to “it” as “this thing.” But it is 2 things, isn’t it? So right away I find myself wondering whether it is the front-end that is causing propblems (whatever they may be), or the back-end, you see.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: , , .
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My apologies...frustration....

The problem is with the front end. I developed the application in Access 2002, however in the the 2000 format.

The application works fine, gets, saves and deletes records from a machine with Access 2002 or higher. The issues are run into are when I try and run the app on a machine with Access 2000.

The first error I get is with a combo box. Specifically, I get an error that states "method or property not recognized". This error is in reference to the combo box's add and remove item methods.

I get the same error with a list box.

I am guessing, but I think the problem is with the different references. The machine with Access 2000 has MS Access Objects 9.0 versus Access 2002 has 10.0 and Access 2003 has 11.0, etc.

I tried to copy the MSACC.olb library from my systems Office 10 directory and paste it into a shared folder. After that I tried to add in the reference on the machine with the 2000. The other references I added worked, but I still could not get the MS Access Objects 10.0 reference into the list.


I don't know if that is the issue or what. Is it even possible to add in a library from an newer version of access?

  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Port Orchard, WA, USA.
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

It looks like you used objects on the form that do not exist in the earlier version of Access.
I'm not sure how you would overcome this...

First I would try creating a simple form in 2000 whith the suspect controls on it, then import that form into a newer DB and see if the behavior is different in the two IDEs.

In the earlier version, look in object browser to see which libraries are mentioned (and their file locations/names) and see if you can add to the newer version references that you found in the older version. (You probably won't due to name collisions.

There is the possibility that you will not be able to overcome this. In that case, I think your only solution will be to deploy the frontend as an application through making an installable package (SetUp.exe, and associated stuff), and actually install it on the machines that need to run it.


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginning Access 2002 VBA Chapter 3 Olivia54 BOOK: Beginning Access VBA 3 January 24th, 2006 12:11 PM
Access 2002 VBA CD-ROM rmccamont Access VBA 2 May 7th, 2004 09:22 PM
Access 2002 VBA with SQL using a variable cpopham Access VBA 8 December 4th, 2003 04:24 PM
Access XP VBA compatibility issues w/ Access 2000 bourgeois02 Access VBA 1 August 19th, 2003 04:14 PM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.