Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 2005 > Pro Visual Basic 2005
|
Pro Visual Basic 2005 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 2005. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro Visual Basic 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via AIM to maxl
Default ClickOnce Deployment question

Thanks for clicking,

I have this application right, and its really close to being finished. It will be used by lots of people accross the state and so i've decided to use ClickOnce for deployment. Is there any way to change the default install directory for a clickOnce application other than the unique cache directory it creates for itself? I need to install this on the root of a USB Flash drive so the application can be used on different machines by the same person.

Old March 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to ef1196

I've been using ClickOnce to distribute apps within our corporate network for quite a while and I do not think the default install directory can be modified.

If your application does not require any files other than those that reside in the bin\release directory then try copying the necessary files directly to the flash drive (bypassing the deployment altogether). Depending on the complexity of your application it may work just fine. If your ClickOnce includes the .NET Framework and other required components than this option most likely will not work.

Best Regards,
Earl Francis

Old March 8th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Authorized User

Thanks ef1196. Copying the files to the flash drive manually would pretty much defeat the purpose of trying to use clickonce deployment for this application because of this particular scenario (installing it on a flash drive). i need to have this all automated. I was also thinking that if ClickOnce did not fit my needs i would just write a VBScript and have that run on the client machine to perform the initial install on the flash drive.

The complexity of the application is quite high because the .NET application has to call a VB6 app written by another to complete certain functionality, and im relying on reg free COM to make this work. It almost seems like i have to write a seperate install program to install everything, but im trying to do as much research as i can in order to make the best decision.

Old March 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Authorized User

What about editing the right Manifest file?