Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Authorized User

Default Synchronize a remote and local database - MAYBE???

I am having trouble figuring this out to be efficient - perhaps someone can assist me.

I have a SQL Server 2000 database that is hosted on a remote server that handles all of my transactions. I can access this fine - everything is cool. But I am also running SQL Server 2000 locally and want a local database copy to be synchronized with the remote (remote being the source of course). How can this be done? I want the local backup to be as live as possible but even if I had to set it up to synchronize every couple of hours that would be fine too.

Also - once this is accomplished (or if), will my local backup copy automatically make appropriate changes such as added/removed tables and columns if the remote source db has changed?

If there is one place to find the answer its here baby!

Thanks.

Old March 7th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Authorized User

Answer: SQL Server Replication

Pls check it http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/sqlserv...eplication.htm for details.

Cheers,
Pooja Falor

Old March 7th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Authorized User

Thanks for the link -- however the host database that I want to synchronize has restrictions which do not allow me to do that. Their response to my problem was "due to security risk the function's accessible are only supported. You can use DTS to import and export"

So how can I set up some sort of automated function using DTS so that my local copy is updated at certain intervals?

Old March 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Authorized User

No one has run into this same scenario before or can help? Pretty please with sugar on it?