Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Authorized User

Default A Better way to sync a remote and local database?

Here is the deal, I HOPE someone can assist me in this. I have a SQL server database that is hosted through a company that wont allow me any replication or subscription services to sync my data to a local SQL server I have running. I have been attempting to come up with something on my own in order to at least have my remote data sync to my local copy in various intervals throughout the day. Here is what I have come up with so far but am looking for a better and more efficient way to do this. (And this isn't 100% functional at this point either):

BACKUP LOG DBname TO backup_device_name WITH INIT, NO_TRUNCATE

WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:05'

(this next step executes a stored procedure on the destination server that looks like this):

restore_Tiamat_ETS_log_backups AS

ALTER DATABASE Tiamat_ETS SET SINGLE_USER

RESTORE LOG Tiamat_ETS
FROM DISK = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\logs\Tiamat_ETS_log_backup_dev ice.bak'
WITH
DBO_ONLY,
STANDBY = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\logs\undo_Tiamat_ETS.ldf'

WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:05'
GO

That is how far I am now but it isn't working how I would like. Any thoughts?

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Authorized User

what about it isn't working the way you like?

Can you get a connection to the remote DB and run a DTS?