Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Default Purchasing SQL Server

I'm trying to set up a development environment on my home machine and I'd like to get a copy of SQL Server since I use it at work. I was told that it came as a developers copy with some other software.

Does anyone have an recommendations?

Regards
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:07 PM

SQL Server Developer addition is bundled (along with various other software) with Visual Studio .Net 2003 Ent Developer or Ent Architect editions. See Microsoft website for details.

Alternatively for the completely free option you could use MSDE - from a development perspective I hear it's identical to SQL Server (just isn't scalable). Never used it personally though.

Make sure you have the right operating system on your home PC for the version of SQL Server you obtain - for instance if you were running Win 98 you could only install SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition. MSDE should run on anything.
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Friend of Wrox

MSDE is indeed SQL Server 2000. It is constrained to a 2GB maximum database size and 5 simultaneous connections.

It also does not come with the graphical managment tools like Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM

That was the thing about MSDE. What do I use to build the tables or queries with the GUI tools? I assumes, or seems to, that I have developed the databasee somewhere else and ported it over to let me distribute a database with my software package.
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Friend of Wrox

You can install the client tools from your full version and use them with MSDE.

regards
David Cameron
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mr_federalist
 That was the thing about MSDE. What do I use to build the tables or queries with the GUI tools? I assumes, or seems to, that I have developed the databasee somewhere else and ported it over to let me distribute a database with my software package.
Note also that MSDE does come with ISQL.EXE which is a command line tool that will execute queries. These queries can be entered on the command line or be executed from a text file. In theory, you can do everything you need to do with this tool, albeit not nearly as easily as with the GUI tools.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:45 AM

What I use at home is :-

1. MSDE (downloaded from Microsoft, free)
2. SQL Server evaluation editon (downloaded from Microsoft, free)

.BUT.

I only installed the Client Tools from the SQL Server download. This gives me GUI access (Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, etc) to MSDE without having to purchase SQL Server of get hold of any disks.

Works a treat.