Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Default SQl Server license for a web server app

If i have a website in my own server. What type of license of SQL Server i need for my server?

My question is because is only one user accessing the SQL, the asp.net or one from the IIS.

But someone told me that does not matter, that i need the license processor one, because there will be multiple user working in my application.

What i don't understand is that really is the asp.net user accessing so why i cannot buy the standard edition with 5 cals, that is less expensive that the license processor?

regards,

Carlos Gomez

Old December 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Friend of Wrox

You could go to linux and open source and then you won't have to worry about the licence at all.

Many vendors have moved to a model where you pay for what you use. Most per user licence ie 5 user licence was not setup with the internet in mind. When you on the internet you have a imeasurable volume of users. Far in excess of the 5 users potentionally but likely no more than 5 connected at a time. Thus the software vendors want to have a way to charge you proportionally to what you use. Thus they come up with a per server licence model so you don't have to worry about counting your end users. Nothing prevents you from my knowledge in using the 5 user licence for 500 web users as you won't have more than 5 sql connections at a time and if you did you could code to simply reattempt the sql if licences exceeded after previous processes finish. MS changes their licence model all the time just like Oracle and the rest. I suggest you look at the latest licence model from MS and not ask general opinions of the developer community who are most of the people on this forum. If you want to save money they have new web oriented licences coming out that may be cheaper than the standard edition. They are feeling the pressure of the open source databases also. If thats still too expensive for you and you can control the SQL RDBMS you code to (for example you not using an off the shelf package your developing internally). You may want to consider Postgresql or Mysql and never have to worry about licensing issues again.

Just my thoughts. Take a close look at the new type of licenses that just came out for SQL 2005 they may suit your purposes better.