Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 4th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Authorized User

Default Situation on Static IP Based SQL Server

I need to expose my SQL Server 2000 in the internet so that our small stores can update their daily Income and Expenses.

Problem 1. Hoping to trick SQL Injectors i changed our port to 7829(not real value). It worked for a while but one day we could no longer open our SQL Server and we had to reinstall our OS and SQL to have it up again. What must I do to prevent this from happening again. Using Zone Alarm Pro Software.

Problem 2. Is is possible to change PORT 1434.

Problem 3. I want to open the SQL Server in our branch using the Enterprise manager for easier querying but SQL Server cant seem to find it, what needs to be done?

Problem 4. How do I make MSDE use TCP/IP Protocol?

Using Windows XP Pro, Zone Alarm Pro Software

Proud To Be Pinoy

Old April 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Friend of Wrox

1) SQL Injectors ( I presume you mean SQL injection) are not dependent on the port. SQL Injection attacks work through your web client where in a text box the black hat puts in a ' and then some sql text i.e.
David' GO DROP DATABASE xyz, hoping that you build and execute your SQL strings dynamically.

2) Port 1434 is used to permit clients to get the list of instances with MS SQL Server and with SP 3 they did provide a way to turn this off

3) You need to set up an alias in the client network utility

4) You must configure this protocol in the Server Network Utility

David Lundell
Principal Consultant and Trainer
www.mutuallybeneficial.com