Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:22 PM

Default SQL Server Registration Problem

Hi All,

I installed Sql Server 2000 Enterprise Edition in my computer. My computer is running on Windows XP Service Pack 2. While I was installing it I got the message that server component is not supported in my operating system, so only client components will be installed.

Now I'm trying to register by "New SQL server registration" option and I am trying to connect to my local machine by giving "(local)" as available server. But I just can't seem to do it. Like to mention here that my firewall is off.

Can anybody please advice me what I should do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
Friend of Wrox

When you did the installation it did not install the Server. You need to use Enterprise Eval edition, Developer Edition, or Personal Edition (license is free for every CAL for SQL Server Std or Enterprise). I recommend Developer Edition.

Turn your firewall back on. When communicating with the local SQL Server you don't have to worry about firewalls.

David Lundell
Principal Consultant and Trainer
www.mutuallybeneficial.com

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. So after I install the developer addition, what would be the name of the local SQL Server? Please let me know if you know it.

I thought my problem is related to firewall as I read somewhere that with Windows XP SP-2, there would be problem in registering. So I went to my "Local Area Connection" and added "sql server on Named Pipes" service with it. But the the problem is still there. I'm trying to get Developer Edition as you mentioned and lets see how it goes from there.

Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

The same name as your computer has.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Friend of Wrox

You can always connect to the local default instance by using . for the server name
If it is a named instance on the local box, then you can do this
.\NamedInstance2
.\BESQL
.\Whatever

David Lundell
Principal Consultant and Trainer
www.mutuallybeneficial.com