Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:32 AM
Authorized User

Default sa is not the part of trusted connection

Hi All,
  I have faced a problem while i was using the sql server authentication connection using SA without password since there was no password was not assigned to SA. But the connection failed saying that the sa is not the part of trusted connection where as it connected by using the Windows authentication. What could be the problem . Please Help!!!

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:11 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via Yahoo to melvik

Trusted Connection has no relation to SA or any other users

Always:),
Hovik Melkomian.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 06:49 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Windows Authentication *is* a Trusted Connection.

There are two ways to connect to SQL Server. One is to use SQL Server accounts and passwords. The SA account is an example of such a user account.

The other mechanism is Integrated Security / Windows Security / Trusted Connections (all the same thing). Using that mechanism, your network logon name is used to connect to SQL Server. So, you logon to your workstation and then connect to SQL Server. Your network logon name then needs access to the SQL Server and databases you need to access.

Integrated Security can be easier to manage and is more secure as you're not sending clear text passwords over the wire.

It's recommended to give the SA account a password as soon as possible. Right now, anyone with access to your SQL Server (i.e. they know it's IP address) can access the server with full rights....

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Authorized User

Thanks for the replies....
To put more information on my problem the system was not in network . It was being done on a test machine which was isolated from the network. Even the login for the sa is failing. Thats exacly my problem.PLease help!!!

Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:25 AM
Wrox Author

Can you define "failing"? When does it fail? From an application? When you use the Enterprise Manager?

Imar Spaanjaars

Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:39 AM
Authorized User

It is failing from the application as well as from the connection builder utility of the ADODC control

Thanking you,

Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:24 AM
Wrox Author

It looks like you SQL Server is set to allow Windows Authentication only.

There are two ways around it:

1. Don't use SQL Server authentication. Do not use the SA account (especially not without a password) but use your domain accounts instead. IMO, this is the preferred way to go.

2. Change SQL Server's authentication method. To do so, follow these steps:
  a. Open the Enterprise Manager
  b. Expand Server Groups and Servers until you see your SQL Server
  c. Right-click your server and choose Properties
  d. Switch to the Security tab and select "SQL Server and Windows"
  e. Follow the instructions (you'll need to restart SQL Server for the changes to take effect).

Now, SQL Server allows SQL Server Authentication and you can log in with your SA account.

Before you change this, consider your setup carefully. Changing the security method with a blank SA password leaves your system vulnerable to abuse. Anyone can access your SQL Server and read, alter or delete any data they want......

Cheers,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars

Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Authorized User

Thank you Imar, Thank you very much:)
This was the reply i was looking for.