Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server 2005
|
SQL Server 2005 General discussion of SQL Server *2005* version only.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Authorized User

Default SQL Server Naming convention for Replication

Hi All,

We are trying to replicate a Database on our SQl Server, but when i try to create a replication publication (Step 1) i get an error message regarding the name of our server, our naming convention has - in it, eg MY-SQL-SERVER, is this the problem? And if so our clients are named MY-CLIENT-TERM will this be a problem?

Regards

Darren

Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Friend of Wrox

What is the error you are getting? If the machine name is acceptable by the machine, then I can't imagine that SQL Server should care as long as the name resolves to a reachable IP address and thus a running SQL instance.

-Peter
peterlanoie.blog

Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Authorized User

Hi
Thanks for your post

The error i get is when i right click on replication (object explorer tree) and go to New - Publication i get the following error;
SQL Server is unable to connect to server MY-SQL-SERVER!
Additional Information
SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make to connection to the server.
Connections through aliases, IP addresses or any alternate name is not supported.
Sprecify the actual server name 'MYSQLSERVER' (Replication Utilities)

That is the error box i get, our SQL Server is named
MY-SQL-SERVER, i am assumming it doesn't like the - in the name

Any thoughts

Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Friend of Wrox

I can't say I've ever worked with a server with hyphens in the name. Could you test this theory by creating a windows host entry of a non-hyphenated name that points to the real server IP so you can determine if that is the problem? (I'm not positive that this would work, SQL might query the DB server itself for the machine name once connected.)

-Peter
peterlanoie.blog