I am way over my head on this task and would greatly appreciate step-wise instructions and explanations. I am engaged in independent study not
classroom work of any kind. This severely limits me from getting any face-to-face help. I am using Visual C++ 2010 Express (the free version), which does not support MFC like the paid versions do. Visual C++ is fully updated. My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1. The OS is fully updated also.
I a using Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010
as my source to learn C++. Horton's book includes windows programming using MFC. In an effort to find a substitute for MFC, I found Bjarne Stroustrup's book Programming Principles and Practice Using C++
which recommends using FLTK for windows programming when using the express version of C++. The instructions included for installing FLTK look pretty good until actually attempting to follow the instructional steps. Stroustrup does give a disclaimer stating that this installation is challenging. He recommends getting help with the installation. I have spent untold hours researching instructions which meet me at my current level of understanding. It has been an exercise in futility and frustration.
Here is where I am in my attempt to install FLTK.
- I have found what is hopefully the path for the FLTK installation. It is C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include.
- I have saved the download to a folder I created in Downloads. The file is named FLTK 1.3.0 - source.tar.gz.
- I have used 7zip to extract the .gz file into the same folder. The resulting file is FLTK 1.3.0 - source.tar.
- Here is where I am running into a problem. I am unable to open the .tar file. I have attempted to use7zip to no avail. Research pointed me to Tar Tool which is too sketchy for me to follow. I have no experience with scripting and very trivial command line experience. The skeleton instructions found here assume I have prior knowledge.
- Returning to Stroustrup's book: I am supposed to open the main folder and open FLTK.dsw in a project folder, which in my case is C:\Documents\Visual Studio 2010.
- There are more instructions, but I need to open FLTK before I can attempt to continue.
Please provide detailed
instructions for opening and installing FLTK so I can see if it will provide a suitable substitute for MFC in my studies.
Thank you for your time and effort.