Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Visual Studio 2005 For discussing Visual Studio 2005. Please post code questions about a specific language (C#, VB, ASP.NET, etc) in the correct language forum instead.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Visual Studio 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM

Default Describe function

Hello,

When i try to use the "Describe <table_name>" function, I get an error....invalid SQL function. Any idea why? I'm using Visual Studio 2005 French version.

tks

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Friend of Wrox

What database are you using???

The only DB I know that supports "DESCRIBE" is MySQL. And it's not a function; it's a statement. It returns a table, the same as a "SELECT" would.

Old January 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM

I'm using Oracle 10. The function i'm looking for is the one which gives the properties of a table. For example in DBVisualizer i can use "@desc <table_name> and will will provide the properties of the table. (column names, data types, etc...)

What i'm looking for is the same equivalent command in Visual Studio 2005.

tks

Old January 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to gbianchi

Hello.

You don't have describe, but you have the info stored in system tables. I don't remember the names, but for sure you can look them up in the help of the system (or in google).

Gonzalo

================================================== =========
Read this if you want to know how to get a correct reply for your question.
(Took that from Doug signature and he Took that from Peter profile)
My programs achieved a new certification :
WORKS ON MY MACHINE
I know that CVS was evil, and now i got the
proof.

Old January 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Friend of Wrox

Sounds like MySQL borrowed from Oracle or vice versa.

But anyway, if you use the TOOLS menu and then the CONNECT TO DATABASE menu option, you *should* be able to see all the tables and fields in the "Database Explorer" panel of VS.

And if you double click on a table name, you get a display in your main panel/window that is very much like what you say you get from DESCRIBE.

Last edited by Old Pedant; January 21st, 2009 at 08:53 PM..