Wrox Programmer Forums
|
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 8th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to NiNe
Default VB.NET&C#

Are you diferent between VB.NET and C#?
are you thing allow create by VB.NET and not allow By C#
or the same?
if the same, why microsoft publisher 2 language the same working?
Thanks.
NiNe.........

NiNe

Old March 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Friend of Wrox

VB.NET and C#.NET are very similar except for syntax. I can only think of one thing VB.NET has that C#.NET doesn't. C#.NET has a few things that vb.NET doesn't. C#.NET is an attempt to help Java developers come over from the dark side. :)

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Authorized User

Personally, I think Microsoft is planning to get rid of VB altogether, but is allowing this intermediate phase of having VB.NET and C# together in order not to lose too much of their market. Most VB programmers who get around to spending a day or so with C# will switch - C# is soooo much sweeter in style - clean and elegant!
Anyway, C# and VB.NET are mainly different only on the surface, but there are the following differences I'm aware of:

C# has the following that VB.NET doesn't have:
   - ability to insert unsafe (non-managed) code (e.g., pointers)
   - operator overloading (maybe VB has this in VS 2003 ??)
   - XML documentation comment feature

VB.NET has the following that C# doesn't have:
   - range capability in Select statements
   - late binding
   - the 'When' keyword for catch blocks
   - unstructured error handling, if you want it (hahaha)
   - optional parameters (in C#, you must use overloaded methods)

Old March 8th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Friend of Wrox

I don't see how VB is going away, the last version of VB that lost support from Microsoft was supported for 10 years after a new version came out. If you check out microsoft's site, VB 6 is will go away in the future, but that won't be happening relatively quickly. Plus, Microsoft built a utility to convert C# to VB.NET, but not vice versa.

Old March 8th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Authorized User

It is curious that Microsoft hasn't come out with a VB.NET to C# converter (I use Instant C#), but most VB programmers I know are switching, and only using VB when they need to support an existing app. By the way, VB6 is only supported up to early next year.

Every VB programmer I know who has taken the time to get past the offensive 'void' (why method signatures must always be expressed in terms of return values is beyond me) and curly brackets is switching to C#. Why would you code in a messy language like VB, with it's numerous illogical alternatives and ambiguities (look up the numerous alternative syntaxes for events, arrays, ...) when a clean, elegant language like C# is just as easy to work with? Not to mention the relative compatibility with the other modern languages.

Old March 8th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Friend of Wrox

One of the major issues that will propel C# ahead of VB.NET (when it happens) in .NET programming popularity is the development environment. C# works perfectly fine in Visual Studio.NET and has the XML documentation feature which is a major plus. However, VB.NET has the added advantage of more code-time debugging. Some people may argue that this is a poor "feature" because it sucks up cycles, but how many cycles do we need when we are just typing?

Another major difference I have found since learning C# (on my own) while still using VB (at the office) is the way Visual Studio handles the class name/member and method selector at the top of the editing window. I find myself using those drop downs a lot to jump around to the various methods and members in a code file. Also, when in VB.NET, you can use those selectors to select base class members/events that are not yet part of your code and Visual Studio will build the appropriate method override or event handler for that selected member. This helps tremendously when you are in a rapid application development environment.

Peter
------------------------------------------------------
Work smarter, not harder.

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Authorized User

You're right - C# certainly lacks some of the ease of use as far as the IDE goes - but I find that I easily adapt to this kind of hardship... a year ago I lost the ability of the "\ & |" on my keyboard and I adapted - I kept putting off buying the new keyboard and it was truly comedic how I would keep a notepad file open with the lost key characters so I could copy/paste when necessary.. hahahahaha....

(Anyway, I've got a new keyboard now.)