Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 5th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to krishnabhargav
Default Problem creating new ASP.NET web Application

Hello everyone,

I have a problem creating ASP.NET web application.Whenever i create a new web application it says:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Unable to create Web project "WebApplication1".Couldnot find a web server on 'localhost' on port80.Please check to make sure that the web server name is valid and your local proxy settings are set correctly.If you are sure that everything is correct,the web server may be temporarily out of service.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++
 Earlier when i got the same problem then i reinstalled the IIS (note i m working on win2000) and then registered the asp.net and then it worked.Now again when i want to create a new web application i am getting this error.Can someone please tell me how to resolve this problem without reinstallin IIS everytime i want to work with ASP.NET.Someone pleaseeeeeeee help me.
Thanks,

Love,
Bhargav

Everybody is talented but i am intelligent enough to learn from their knowledge.
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hello,

Does the ASP.NET account have access to the assembly folders under c:\windows. I had that happen whenever I removed public access to everyone at the root. By adding the ASPNET account back at the root, everything worked fine for me.

Brian
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Authorized User

Hello mr.Brian,
            I dont get your point.I am very new to .NET so wuld you please tell me what this ASP.NET account is and how to provide the public access or so( adding back to the root)??
Thanks,
Bhargav.

Everybody is talented but i am intelligent enough to learn from their knowledge.
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Friend of Wrox

When the .NET framework was installed, an <machine name>\ASPNET account was created. When a web project runs, it runs as the ASPNET account. So if you are having permission problems, it's likely that this account needs permissions.

Make sure that account has permissions to whatever it needs on your file system.

For an OS with NTFS, you would right-click a folder, select the security tab, and add the <machine name>\ASPNET account.

Does that make sense?

Brian
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Authorized User

thanks brain,
      Every time i restart my machine i get the same problem again.Here is one solution tat is working for me.
      First of all i am running the iisreset.exe from the system32 folder then going to services and I stop the IIS Admin service and then start it(restarting doesnt work->first stop then start) then in administrative tools i start the internet service manager there i will see default web site,ftpsite,smtp mail server all stopped then i start them and tats its working.
  Anyway thanks for your help pal.
Thanks you
Bhargav

Old July 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Hello

I have the same problem as well, but i am uisng VB.Net, under a XP envioroment.

Brian can you tell me as there a easy way to find out ASPNET account? As i get the part where i have to give it permission.

Thanks
Umar