Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 19th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Authorized User

Default Running VS 2002 & 2003 sharing one instance of MSD

Hi everyone, I have posted this question on a number of forums and have had no response, hopefully someone here at P2P can guide me.

Can I run Visual Studio 2002 and Visual Studio 2003 seperately?(that is, open 2002 proj files and 2003 proj files seperately?, and not run both versions of VS at the same time)...and still have my ONE instance of SQL Server(MSDE-VSdotNET)? Can these two versions co-exist together and share my one instance of SQL Server as long as I don't start up both versions simaltaneously? Processor power and memory is not an issue.

Can I/should I/How can I set up 2 instances of SQL Server on my local machine? if this is what's required to satisfy VS 2002 and VS 2003 installed on the same machine.

I have not installed VS 2003 yet because of this concern. I have an ASP.NET book that I would like to work through the exercises in but they require VS 2003 be installed. I tryed to open a project file associated with this book but VS 2002 tells me it can't open it. The author of the book did confirm that I would NOT be able to open a VS 2003 .sln or .proj file with VS 2002, they are different.

When I install VS 2003, I know not to select "Convert all .sln and .proj files to version 2003?" because I want to still be able to work in VS 2002.

Should I consider purchasing SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition or at least download Enterprise Manager to set up another instance of SQL Server, or can I osql? I don't plan to develop production sites, just one storefront at a time on my local machine at home.

Thanks in advance! Kevin
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

Sure you can. After all, the MSDE is "just a database". Just as you can use MSDE from within multiple VS.NET 2003 projects / applications, you can also connect to it from VS.NET 2002, even at the same time.

However, for a production environment, the MSDE is not good. It will slow down considerable after 5 or more users.

The developer edition is an interesting solution as, I believe, it also comes with all the management tools like the Enterprise Manager and the Query Analyzer, making your life much easier.

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
While typing this post, I was listening to: Analog Worms Attack by Mr. Oizo (Track 1 from the album: Analog Worms Attack) What's This?
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Authorized User

Thanks Imar! I just plan to develop one ASP.NET storefront at a time at home on my local machine. I will be the only user since I will be the only one testing the application, then I will copy the project and DB to an IIS hosting company. Can you reccommend a good hosting company for ASP.NET/SQL?

This is a home business that I've been dreaming about starting! I want to work from home and develop custom storefronts for a client base that I already have.

I'm still a little new at this stuff, so if I purhase the developer, only $50.00! at:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=233834

and install it, will Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition replace my MSDE? or what happens when I install it. Could I have multiple instances of SQL Server on my local machine?....and how would that help me? I know the management tools would make things easier for me once I get the hang of it. Right now I'm just building 1 storefront at a time in Visual Studio using all stored procedures. I'm building a 100 products contact lens DB in VS, with thumb images and full size images, price, etc..etc. very time consuming!(the client had no prior DB, not even a flat file!)

Maybe you could steer me in the right direction Imar. What would you have if you were developing web apps and Ecommerce sites at home one at a time like me?

Old October 21st, 2004, 12:39 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

Hi Kevin,

I don't think there is a need to install multiple instances of the MSDE or SQL Server. SQL Server (MSDE /Dev edition etc) allows you to create multiple databases under the same running instances. So, for each application / client you can create a database under a single SQL instance. These database can be used by a lot of applications (Web, Windows, etc) and even simultaneously.
So, I think performance wise, it's not a good idea to install multiple instances. It doesn't give you any benefits, while each instance still consumes memory and CPU cycles.

If you install the dev edition when you already have the MSDE installed, I think it will offer to install a new instance. In that case, stop the MSDE, copy your databases somewhere, uninstall the MSDE, install the dev edition and reattach your databases. Maybe the dev edition has an upgrade option, but I don't think so.

On my dev machine I have a single instance of the MSDE.

I don't use a third party host; I host my own sites at home, and at work we have a bunch of dedicated servers with a provider, so I cannot recommend a host.

Does this answer your questions?

Good luck with your sites.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Shooting Up In Vain by Eagle-Eye Cherry (Track 8 from the album: Desireless) What's This?
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Authorized User

Thanks Imar. So I can pretty much be ok just running msde and making 1 storefront at a time using msde?

How can I host my own sites at home?(I'm on cable, do I need T-1?)

And how many sites can u host an your local machine/server??

I think I'll just download the free Enterprise Manager. Where can I get this and would this help me?

Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Friend of Wrox

What operating system are you using? You will need Windows server to host multiple sites. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ultwebsite.asp

Besides this, Windows Professional also has the following restrictions:

• Limited to 10 simultaneous connections to IIS

• No IP address restrictions

• Administrative Web Site is not installed

• No ODBC connection logging

As far as using cable, you probably only have an upload speed of around 16KBs(128kbps). Thats not very fast to be hosting multiple sites (or even one site if it has numerous media files).

Also, the developer edition is just that, a developer edition. You can't use it in a production environment.

J
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Wrox Author

Yes, that's correct. You could create lots of sites on one MSDE installation.

The number of real Web sites depends on your OS. Windows XP allows you to create (or activate) only one site at the time.
You can, however, create multiple Virtual Directories under the Default Web Site.
Windows Server editions don't have this limitation.

I think there's a trial available at http://www.mictosoft.com/sql/

The connection you need depends on your site. On DSL / Cable you could open a few web sites, provided they're not too popular / busy, sucking up your bandwidth....

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Burger Queen by Placebo (Track 12 from the album: Without You I'm Nothing) What's This?
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Friend of Wrox

Here are some FAQs about MSDE that you might want to take a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/msdeuse.asp

You might want to particlarly note the question and answer:

Q. Can I use MSDE as a database for Web applications?

A. Yes, MSDE is an ideal solution for basic Web applications with up to 25 concurrent users.

It might limit your ability to successfully deploy numerous sites if they utilize the same database.

J
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Authorized User

Thanks everyone!

Imar, I'm running XP Pro.

I really don't want to host sites(sounds like fun!)but I'd rather just develop one storefront at a time in VS and copy the project to IIS hosting.

Can anyone recommend good ASP.NET hosting? Preferably a hosting co. that you've used in the past, and have had a good experience with...e.g. good customer support?, uptime?, no problems copying db's and projects to the server and updating db's and projects on a regular basis from within VS 2003(copy project)to the server?...or for that matter....other ftp utility programs?

I want reliable hosting. I've heard some real nightmares copying DB's and proj files from Visual Studio and other ftp programs to other IIS hosting companies.

I have decided to download SQL server 2000 trial version and install only the tools to get the management console. Since the DB product expires, I will not install that.

Kev